Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Honest Grade On A 1950 D Jefferson Nickel

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 970Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  7:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Grabbed this beautiful 1950d Jefferson for a trade. Very nice coin I might add just curious about the grade on it coin has some reddish purple to the tone but overall the luster is amazing. Very few contact marks but they are present.

Edited by Curveball
02/13/2020 7:24 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47921 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cheek and shoulder hits limit this to 64 at best. Pic of steps is shaded at bottom and inconclusive.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2105 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  7:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Tunnioc to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice, MS64 4 steps.
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ok. 12.00 value trade. Coin shop kept saying it was an fs didnt have my loupe
@Tuunnioc u correct and good eye from my cheap camera phone photos. It's just four steps 4 strong. just my luck lol still prob worth about 20 bucks on a good day my guess
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thx @coinfrong I'm ok with a 64 its a strong coin very nice for the date thank u I have 50 D with fs it's a gem this one I recently acquired is very nice also
Edited by Curveball
02/13/2020 7:51 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13410 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not reading the reverse of this coin at all . what the heck is all that going on with the rims ? Looks like only 4 steps but last photo looks like you spilled milk on the coin then took the photo . Doesn't look like a well struct coin especially the Monticello building . MS-64 eye appeal
7/10 .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/13/2020  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good point t_bopster. The one where the milks is spilt all over... I think its called a negative or like a reverse but 8m stupid maybe it highlights the points on a surface which is very reflective such as a nickel but its doest pay im srry let me clean up all this milk everywhere ughh. thank u for your opinion. P.S. would you be so kind to inform me on how u take your brilliant tip top magoo pics I'd be delighted to learn so.
Pillar of the Community
United States
643 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  11:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nick10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS64, might go 5 steps, which in some books is FS.

I've seen that look often on 1950s nickels, many steps are present but the rest of Monticello is soft. The other devices are a bit soft too indicating it's not an early die state, not late either.
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 02/15/2020  12:02 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dr Seuss to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Beautiful coin! I'd have to agree with the guys and say MS64 but I think you can find a reputible grading service to honor the FS, given how mushy that year is
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  8:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your opinions I got the coin on a trade the coin I traded was prob worth 12 bucks. Not sure if its worth getting slabbed. What do y'all think?
Edited by Curveball
02/18/2020 8:39 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13410 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  8:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not sure if its worth getting slabbed. What do y'all think?

I already did . 50-D Jeff's are a dime a dozen graded in 65-66, you would need your coin to be 67-68 .
Pillar of the Community
United States
4651 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  9:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weak strike especially on the reverse.
IF it's MS then maybe -62
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Valued Member
United States
329 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  10:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Curveball to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the reverse is kinda of mushy but for less than 3 million minted for circulation and as stated the dies were horrible for that year I think it's an EDS justva bad year that's all.

Here's a pic of the 1950 D with Fs I'm not taking it out the 2x2 to photograph it so srry if pics are bad.

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13410 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  08:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here's a pic of the 1950 D with Fs

Not looking to degrade you or your coin but it's just
Not FS .
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20104 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  2:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-63, not Full Steps.
Pillar of the Community
United States
795 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  3:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ijn1944 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin. I see a strong MS63.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 970Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05