Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1831 Large Cent.harpooned Whale?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
2449 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  10:02 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Ran across this coin this morning on e-bay. Most examples of this variety seem to be pretty pricey. For $20.50 before shipping I thought I would grab it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1831-Large...124077481874
Pillar of the Community
United States
714 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well I like the $20.50 price, but I'm not too keen on $10 shipping.

I really like the harpooned whale moniker.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9191 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats again on picking up a reasonably priced M-LDS example.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
2449 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys. I wasn't crazy about shipping charge either. Asked seller if he would lower it but he would not. I think it kept the selling pricer lower.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9191 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  2:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's the way I look at it. I did notice he has a base ball bat that ships for $8.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
7198 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
$30 shipped is a bit much for an R.1 variety in that shape. I do realize that pickin's are slim out there these days, not like it was a few years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2449 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  4:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
30 would be way more than I would pay for that coin without the cud. All the ones for sale in that or later die state are way up there in asking price
Pillar of the Community
United States
7198 Posts
 Posted 02/14/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the cud was fairly common, but I could be wrong. In that case you did well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3630 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  08:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ExoGuy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Our OP's coin is one that I've referred to as the "baby whale." While these aren't common, they don't fetch near the price of the "harpooned whale" upon which the cud extends to the second star. Here's an example of the more expensive, more pricey one that's up for sale on eBay ....

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-cent...132263648548

I once cherry-picked one of these in G-6 condition and flipped it. The one I had evidenced a die crack, extending from the rear of the "whale" that appeared as a harpoon line; hence, the fanciful name. This line is worn off the eBay specimen.

Edited by ExoGuy
02/17/2020 08:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
2449 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  1:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jerryc39 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
baby whale is a good description. I very much agree about the value difference between the cud size differences.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16319 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  10:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is an R-1 variety, but there are many people who collect the different die stages which can push the price up significantly. The coin in the auction was a N-12/1 which list in Good at $40. If the cud had engulfed three of the star points it jumps to $1000 in Good. (the three point cud is the rarest stage as the cud almost immediately grew to include the second star as well.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05