Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cleaning A Deposit And/Or Encrustation On A Silver Coin.

Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community

United States
628 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  11:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've been cleaning coins for awhile and am well aware of the methods. However, I've never had to clean a deposit on a silver. They have all been bronze and I know if you are going to use a chemicals like CLR (Calcium Lime Rust remover)or Vinegar, it's basically all or nothing. I also have an Electrolysis gadget. All of these methods run the risk of stripping the coin of it's patina and/or damaging the coin.

However, silver does not have a patina, rather it's toned. Will these methods damage the coin?

FVRIVS suggested soaking it distilled water and then cleaning with a Q-tip. That I'm sure is the safest way, but it's also take the longest.

In any case, I was always curious to know if it's easier to go "All in" with silver.

Edited by travelcoin
02/16/2020 11:01 am
Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
On a valuable coin such as this I would be cautious to do anything to it. That being said if you are going to try I would first start with a very diluted mixture of Lime Away and water and a Qtip increasing the strength if necessary.
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  7:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I'm going to be very cautious. I've been reading a lot and lemon juice seems to be the way to go. It specifically binds to iron and can dissolve iron oxide. Although, not going to try it just yet.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1245 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think that the coin in question needs any cleaning work done, however, if you are going to have a go at cleaning this silver then I would soak it first, distilled water, then attack the stained area with a cocktail stick that has a soaked end so its quite soft.
There are many different ways to clean coins and there are many different opinions on how to clean them.
Another way to rid silver of rust like dirt is to heat the coin up then drop it into cold water then scrub with a short bristled tooth brush. The trick being that the silver will expand/shrink at a different rate to the rust like stain.
As I am a detectorist, I find Roman coins in all sorts of different states and have learnt over a period of years how to clean them to a high enough degree to be able to list and sell them on our old friend eBay.
The coin you are cleaning is a very nice example of its type so whatever you decide to do to it, do it slowly.
I await future pictures!!
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 02/16/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is hope - just from a 1 day soak in distilled water. Something is coming off. I'm getting excited

Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  10:06 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Patience
It took two thousand years to form
A few weeks or months is almost nothing to you
Be careful about rubbing it
That's why I recommended dabbing at it
Any loosened particles could leave micro scratches and make the area dull looking
Lemon juice was the method of many dealers I knew back in the good old days
But it is acidic so it is worth keeping a close eye on if you chose to try it
Most "baths" won't effect the silver surface
But rubbing it can alter it
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Edited by FVRIVS RVFVS
02/17/2020 10:06 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  12:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, I did rub it, but I haven't come close to penetrating through the deposit. No lemon juice just yet. If I do, I will update the thread.
Learn More...
Australia
13293 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  6:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hate to be the one pointing it out, but the large "R" stamped into both sides indicate to me that this is a replica. So it probably isn't made of solid silver, hence the severe corrosion that has developed.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
United States
3117 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  6:30 pm  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The R does not look modern
But .......
Being suspicious by nature
It does have an odd style to it doesn't it ?
I am staying out of this
Silver gives me gas
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
1245 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Check MetDet71's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add MetDet71 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I hate to be the one pointing it out, but the large "R" stamped into both sides indicate to me that this is a replica

I would go for a fouree, the 'rust' like deposit could be the core coming through and the previous owner has marked it up as such?
Pillar of the Community
United States
4801 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The R does not look modern...It does have an odd style to it doesn't it ?

Not unlike this (apparently legit) banker's mark, vetted by CNG:

https://www.cNGCoins.com/Coin.aspx?CoinID=185970

Learn More...
United States
22887 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
First time I've seen distilled water work so fast. Looks like that just might do the trick.
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  8:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Don't think it's a fouree, it may have been buried by some bronzes? The deposit appears to be sitting on top of the coin. Bob - thanks for finding the banker's mark.
The style of the coin is fine, I found an example sold at auction, ironically with it's own banker's mark.
Edited by travelcoin
02/17/2020 9:03 pm
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2992 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The R does not look modern...It does have an odd style to it doesn't it ?
Looks modern enough to me, but of course the modern letter style is a return to the 1st century, so this is inconclusive.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably a 19th century collector's mark.
Pillar of the Community
United States
628 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  9:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Still soaking in distilled water, but I've been treating the area with dabs of lemon juice for 15mins every couple of days.

Yesterday I grabbed my cleaning pen and lightly brushed just the deposit without touching the coin at all. Trust me, I'm being real careful. The good news is that it looks like the encrustation is sitting atop the coin. Look closely you will see a bit of the denarius poking through.

Edited by travelcoin
02/24/2020 9:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
897 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  11:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hornsilver can vary from black to purple to reddish-brown to yellowish, hard or soft, crystalline or amorphous. A possibility?
Edited by Kushanshah
02/24/2020 11:40 pm
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.82 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05