Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Penny For Every Monarch.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add jakes8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello all,
I am working on getting a penny from every English monarch because I am feeling ambitious & . I am starting with Ecgberht and I was just wondering if anyone knows how often his pennies come to auction? I have been doing some searching and I feel like it's not that often#128517;. Other than that, any advice on who I should focus on first? What are the difficult monarchs to collect?

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Searching "Ecgberht" brings up several on eBay. Though I couldn't tell you if the are authentic.

I wouldn't try to do them in order but if you are I would start with the newest.
Pillar of the Community
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:36 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Depends on how you define "English monarch". It isn't as simple as it sounds.
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jakes8 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is fair. I am just using the standard line that you would follow if you searched "English monarchs" on the Internet.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2992 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I wouldn't try to do them in order but if you are I would start with the newest.
It's the obvious option in theory, but then you'd immediately stumble on the impossibly rare Edward VIII penny.

OTOH, going from the oldest as you do, you would also stumble on number three; as far as I can tell, there are no authentic coins of Aethelbald known.
Pillar of the Community
United States
898 Posts
 Posted 02/17/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would begin by buying the latest edition of Spink's 'Coins of England'. Remember that the prices are in and that British grading is much stricter than American. Leading dealers of British coins in America include CNG, York Coins and Davisson's (I'm surely forgetting someone). In the UK, Baldwin's, Dix Noonan Webb and Spink come to mind. There are also a couple of good British dealers on VCoins. I wouldn't worry about collecting in any particular order. Buy what you like when you find it and feel the price is right. Once your portrait gallery begins to fill in, you'll have a better sense of the project as a whole.

An Edward VIII sovereign sold just last month for 1 million! https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/17/rar...million.html

Edited by Kushanshah
02/17/2020 11:23 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's the obvious option in theory, but then you'd immediately stumble on the impossibly rare Edward VIII penny.

I did say I wouldn't do them in order, But I personally think you could excluded Edward VIII, as he did abdicate before coins could be issued in his name, but maybe jakes8 was fortunate enough to get the one the went up for auction last September.
Edited by Gincoin43
02/18/2020 12:58 am
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
6341 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  04:42 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But I personally think you could excluded Edward VIII, as he did abdicate before coins could be issued in his name

You could always see if Richard Lobel of CoinCraft is selling any of his 'pattern' or 'Patina' Edward VIII coins!
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
2992 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I did say I wouldn't do them in order
I was responding to the OP.

In retrospect, the OP doesn't sound like they're trying to do them in order either, and as such would probably skip any monarchs who don't have any attested English pennies (Aethelbald, Sweyn Forkbeard, possibly others; Edward V pennies exist but are indistinguishable from late Edward IV pennies).
Learn More...
United States
22889 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  1:12 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I would stay away from eBay, most of the early pennies listed there are fakes, your best bet is Vcoins or from the well know auction houses. I am also working on a collection of English hammered pennies but for now I'm concentrating on coins from the Norman conquest up to the 16th century. Henry III and Edward I seem to be the easiest to come by, but can be expensive. You can build a nice collection from just these two kings.
Pillar of the Community
United States
830 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  3:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What ever you decided to do, I would like to see your pick ups like the other set threads others have started
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05