Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Reischmark Of Unknown Origin

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hong Kong
2 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dezynamite to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Greetings to all, I have next to no knowledge when it comes to analysing old banknotes or coins.

Could anyone tell me more about this German Reischmark 1948 note and any value it might have?

Many thanks in advance.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
3307 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add oriole to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hmm. I cannot find this in my Pick Standard catalogue of World paper Money, general issues.

The date was, however, prior to the currency reform of June 20, 1948.

Somebody must have a more comprehensive catalogue.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
638 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  1:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the forum.

My knowledge of German is very limited, but it appears to say "zehntausend" marks, which I understand to mean 10,000. The printed denomination is 100,000. Can anyone enlighten me?
Valued Member
Sweden
221 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  1:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess this is some kind of odd play money. As has been pointed out, the text and numbers do not correspond (10,000 vs 100,000). Also, the text refers to Third Reich institutions that were no longer functioning in 1948, three years after the end of the war.
Hong Kong
2 Posts
 Posted 02/18/2020  10:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dezynamite to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all for the feedback - helpful!

Anaximander - I agree on this point, and my German is also nil, you will also notice, although it's too faint on the photo that the watermark area on the left in the first photo actually bears the number 10,000 (I believe as I can see the real note here)

Erafjel - Would you be so kind as to point out the German words which represent those institutions?
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  12:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add retiredkper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fantasy note? The problem with the denomination mentioned already plus the fact that the denomination 10,000 or 100,000 would have been too large for the time period of 1948 indicates that a printer was showing what they could do in a fantasy form.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  02:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonhinx to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The denomination is what makes this questionable. During the Weimar Republic years there was hyperinflation that would need large bills like this . . . but the RM was created to solve this issue.

Per Wikipedia, Germany wasn't printing bills in denomination anytime during the RM period of 1924 to 1948. They only went up to 1000 RM . . . and it was tied to the gold standard.

Valued Member
Sweden
221 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  08:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Erafjel - Would you be so kind as to point out the German words which represent those institutions?

It is these two words, somewhat freely translated:
Reichsbankhauptkasse (= Central Bank main cash office)
Reichsbankdirektorium (= Central Bank Board of Directors)

A more literal translation of Reichsbank is Bank of the Realm.

The whole text on the front reads:
Reichsbank Note
Ten thousand Marks
will the Reichsbankhauptkasse in Berlin pay to the bearer of this banknote
Berlin 19th January 1948
Reichsbankdirektorium
(signatures)

The Reichsbank was Germany's central bank until Germany's surrender in 1945, at which time the bank was shut down by the Allied occupation powers. The US and Soviet governments printed banknotes for use in occupied Germany (still with denomination in Reichsmark). In 1948 the Bank deutscher Lšnder (Bank of German States) and the Deutsche Notenbank (German Banknote Bank) took over in what would become West Germany respectively East Germany. Both emitted banknotes denoted in Mark (Deutsche Mark), but the name "Reichsbank" has never been used after WW2.

Have you noticed the pictures of trains on the reverse? Nice, but a bit unexpected to find on a central bank note. As are the four airplanes in the corners...

Play money for some board game, is still my guess.
Learn More...
United States
84228 Posts
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
13679 Posts
 Posted 02/19/2020  3:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
To the Forum.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05