Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Another 1914-D LWC Good Counterfeit

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 784Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
1517 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  5:55 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Found in the ground and on the reverse between the left wheat stalk and the words "ONE CENT" it has what looks like a dent from a bullet which distorts the "LIBERTY" on the obverse. I washed it with water, but it is in pretty bad shape. I'm thinking maybe cast? Weight 3.04 grams. Opinions, please. Thanks!

United States
47 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  6:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please help me understand the specific details that lead you to believe this coin is counterfeit. It certainly would have gotten by me!
Pillar of the Community
United States
1517 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  6:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good question. Three things really: 1)It's so beat up and pitted, 2) I'm not sure the mint mark is correct, but mostly because 3) I'm not that lucky.

Also, at 3.04 gms, it is a little light.
Edited by Sudz
02/21/2020 6:36 pm
United States
47 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinsInVT to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Never know! Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good...

You said you found it in the ground, so the pitting could be from environmental damage, and lightness could be from the wearing away of material while in the ground.

I have no empirical evidence to support this, and am not trying to get your hopes up, but it is a possible theory that can probably be confirmed or debunked by someone much more knowledgable than me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13630 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  8:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks pretty darn good to me . Most early wheat cents found in the ground have corrosion and are fairly beat . Yours is in good shape . Mint Mark and date look ok . A couple of rim issues . With TPG Conservation I think you might have a nice 14-D Lincoln .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48916 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  8:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agree this seems to be genuine. MM position checks. Weight logical for condition.
Edited by Coinfrog
02/21/2020 9:20 pm
Learn More...
United States
16398 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sudz, the surface roughness could easily be due to environmental exposure as noted by @cinvt. If I found it, my working theory would be that it is legit.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
2904 Posts
 Posted 02/21/2020  9:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
looks legit.
ça va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19352 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  08:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Now that is lucky.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1517 Posts
 Posted 02/22/2020  12:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sudz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Huh, how 'bout that. Well, thanks all!
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16496 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  5:38 pm  Show Profile   Check BadThad's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BadThad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks genuine to me, just corroded. GREAT FIND!
Lincoln Cent Lover!
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
15758 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  5:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dorado to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good find!
Learn More...
United States
87772 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 784Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05