Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Identification Of Nickel Dollar Varieties

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  4:39 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have finally obtained a copy of 67th Charlton and started the process of proper identification of my nickel dollars.
Two questions popped up immediately:
- 1977 Flat Island varieties (Rev-603 and Rev-004)
I cannot see any differences in the photos of Rev-001 and Rev-603. What constitutes a "Flat Island".
- 1978 Second Island varieties (Rev-006,506,606)
Where is the second island?

Could someone provide a verbal description, please.
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I found another thread for the same topic
http://goccf.com/t/344325

Quote: SPP-Ottawa
"Bill Cross refused to let me yank it out of the 67th edition ... I don't have a 1977 "flat island" coins in my collection..."
"I either cannot see any difference, or it is too subtle to stick out at me..."

So, the "Flat Island" variety is off my list.

I still cannot find any reference to "second island" on this forum.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
1625 Posts
 Posted 02/23/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He (SPP) is the go to guy for that series. MM
Learn More...
Canada
8926 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  01:16 am  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1978-006 is not really a second island. It is a modified die. The top waterline on the bow of the canoe extends right into the island. It is fairly common.

The tough ones for 1978 are the doubled die PL strike, and the FWL no island (Rev-003).
"Research is what I am doing, when I don't know what I am doing" --Wernher von Braun

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Canada
17 Posts
 Posted 02/24/2020  11:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mice45 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the info.
It seems that most of my 1978 dollars are of that variety and I thought it was the "standard" one. Now I need to find Rev-001.

And is the next one Ch#1978- Rev.-503?
The image is not very good. I am still learning how to photograph through pliofilm without much glare.

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.5 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05