Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

March New RCM Releases

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
442 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  11:10 am Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
1-3 oz. Pure Silver Diamond-shaped Coin - Forevermark Diamond - Mintage: 700 (2020)
2-Pure Gold Coin - Relics of New France: Louis XIV 15 Sol - Mintage: 600 (2020)
3-1 oz. Pure Silver Glow-in-the-Dark Coin - Mother Earth: Our Home - Mintage: 4,000 (2020)
4-1/2 Kilogram Pure Silver Coin - 75th Anniversary of UNESCO - Mintage: 400 (2020)
5-1/2 oz. Pure Silver Coin - Congratulations on Your Graduation in 2020!
6-1/2 oz. Pure Silver Coin - 350th Anniversary of Hudson's Bay Company (2020)
7-2020 April Birthstone - Pure Silver Coin made with SwarovskiŽ Crystals - Mintage: 5,000
8-2020 Special Wrap Roll Collection: First Strikes - Mintage: 5,000
9-5 oz. Pure Silver Coin - Courageous Bald Eagle - Mintage: 750 (2020)
10-Connecting Canada - Special Edition 25-Cent 3-Coin Set (2020)
11-Floral Emblems of Canada 13-Coin Series - Pure Silver Coloured Subscription - Mintage: 4,000 (2020)
12-Pure Silver Coloured Coin - White Trillium: Floral Emblems of Canada: Ontario - Mintage: 4,000 (2020)

I don't like any of the new releases except the Connecting Canada - Special Edition 25-Cent 3-Coin Set. I will add that set to my collection.
"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/25/2020  3:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing the info!

The new Bald Eagle coin initially caught my interest but then I realized it was an expensive five-ounce piece. I find the RCM's larger format coins to be too overpriced for me to consider purchasing them. If it was a one-ounce coin, it would likely be more appealing to me.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2689 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  01:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A rather lackluster March release. Nothing really stands out except for the diamond coin. But the diamond coin at $1499 is rather expensive for a 3 oz silver even if it comes with a .2 caret diamond. Not surprisingly it is not sold out even though my rep hyped the coin as something extra ordinary 1 yr. in the making.

The 5 oz Silver eagle is now awaiting stock but it is not my cup of tea. I find it rather plain looking after seeing recent 5 oz coins that come with enhancements like gold plating or Rhodium.
Valued Member
Canada
442 Posts
 Posted 02/26/2020  10:45 am  Show Profile   Check jimper's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jimper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MoneyPenney

on all your points.

Diamond coin- now is Awaiting Stock. Not surprised at 700 minted.
5 oz. Pure Silver Coin - Courageous Bald Eagle- Back up for sale at the moment.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't recall a 5 oz coin without anything special about it at only 750 coins minted. also still available.

"If you lose it here, you're in a world of hurt"
Edited by jimper
02/26/2020 10:46 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  3:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bird's eye view perspective of the $50 Courageous Bald Eagle coin is certainly interesting, but not enough so for me to purchase it at issue price.

I only own one of the RCM's five-ounce silver coins, the 2008 Centennial of the Royal Canadian Mint $50 coin. I purchased it at a coin show about two years ago for less than $30 USD over its melt/intrinsic value of about $85. It cost me $112 and came with all of its original packaging and is in pristine condition.

I realize that such a low price point is not workable for the RCM, but their issue price for these large format coins (medals really) is not workable for me. Maybe some time down the road...

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2689 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  5:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I find the RCM's larger format coins to be too overpriced for me to consider purchasing them. If it was a one-ounce coin, it would likely be more appealing to me.

Actually, the value of larger format coins is underpriced when you calculate the ratio of 1 oz silver to price of RCM silver coins. The current price of silver today is $23 CDN. Let's look at some of this months releases.

The price of the 1 oz bejewelled lady bug coin is $175. So it is 7.6x the price of silver.

The price of of the 1 oz GITD Earth coin is $160. The ratio is 6.9x the price of silver.

The price of the Eagle coin is $530 with 5 oz of silver worth $115. The ratio is 4.6x the price of silver.

You are getting a bargain with the 5 oz Eagle compared to a 1 oz RCM silver coin.

So it not 5 oz coins are that so expensive, it is 1 oz silver coins that way too overpriced compared to the spot price of silver.
Edited by MoneyPenney
02/27/2020 5:12 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4305 Posts
 Posted 02/27/2020  5:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add commems to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@MoneyPenney: You're making an apples-to-oranges comparison. You can't compare the price of coins with embellishments to one that is unadorned - it doesn't work. The embellished coins require more steps to complete - more steps = more cost. This throws off the multiple comparison you are trying to make.

The big issue for me is that a plain five-ounce coin does not cost that much more to create in terms of production vs. a plain one-ounce coin. Yes, the higher silver content is more expensive, but in terms of creating the design, creating the dies, etc. the cost is not 5-7x. The RCM tries to convince collectors that it takes much more to produce a five-ounce coin than a one-ounce coin, but I've worked with enough folks in manufacturing to know that it doesn't. At least not enough to justify the price increments being charged.

Pillar of the Community
Canada
2689 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  02:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MoneyPenney to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@commemms,

If you look at unadorned 1 oz silver coins, they are still more than 4x the spot price of silver.

The Willie O'Ree silver coin is $99.95, the ratio is 4.3x spot rate.
The Liberation of Netherlands is $94.95, the ratio is 4.1x.

So the 5 oz Eagle is in line with 1 oz coins at a ratio of 4.6x.

Given 2 oz RCM coins sell for roughly 2 times the price of 1 oz unadorned silver coins, it is reasonable of the Mint to price 5 oz coins at five times the price 1 oz unadorned coins. It would not make sense for the Mint to sell 5 oz coins for $300 OR $400 when 1 oz coins go for $100 and 2 oz coins for $200.

Or looking at it another way, buying a 5 oz coin is like buying five 1 oz coins.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
585 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  08:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alex A to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Aside from the pricing, the large format coins are out of reach for most people.

I am with commems in that I would rather see more "plain" 1oz silver coins at a lower price point. There is nothing in the March release that interests me, and that represents lost opportunity cost to the RCM.
Valued Member
Canada
369 Posts
 Posted 02/28/2020  11:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vonigohcr to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you look at unadorned 1 oz silver coins, they are still more than 4x the spot price of silver.

This has been the case for the last five years at least. Silver is sold at 4x-5x bullion (the big coins series were all sold between $520 & $570 or more than 4x since 2015). As you note @MoneyPenney this ratio is maintained as the size and cost increases... this makes little sense as it should be cheaper to manufacture the larger coins. The package that is shipped has the variable cost of silver tied to the size of the coin but the cost of tooling packaging and shipping should be much less variable and as such, RCM margins should increase significantly as the size increases.

When I look at a 5oz silver coin, the bullion cost is approx $120 (VBCE cost today is $121CDN for 5 oz bar). To sell that at $530 is a 4.4x markup. In contrast, a 1/10 oz maple leaf is $240CDN. The recently released Colville set is being sold for $365/coin for 1/10 oz or a 1.5x markup. even matching dollar for dollar, 10 oz silver bullion costs $245 (very close to 1/10 oz of gold) but the 10oz Bateman Lion was $1,000 or still in the 4x range. I have to believe that the fixed costs for tooling, packaging & shipping are not that different so why does the mint charge 4x and more for silver but less than 2x for gold... Because the market accepts that.

With the exception of continuing series, I have stopped buying general release silver NCLT from the RCM. I will continue to buy gold. If an outstanding silver coin comes along, I will buy through the secondary market after 6 months because it just plain galls to see the depreciation of these items at this rate.

I am not even going to start in on the "diamond" chunk of silver... A Monarch's head does not make it a coin. There is an interesting argument whether a $20 for $20 or a $50 5oz Bald Eagle could be used to buy bread regardless of the lack of common sense that would exhibit... there is no scenario that I see where the diamond ( or enterprise, carousel etc. before) would be accepted as legal tender for a commercial transaction in a grocery store.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05