Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Many Faces Of Tyche

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1285 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  12:45 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The bust of Tyche was depicted on many ancient coins.

Some are pretty attractive.

Phoencia, Arados

Some not so much.

Spain, Carteia

I've been trying to find one, in my buget, with the portrait in a classical style for my Greek Gods and Heroes collection. No luck yet.

There are some from Persia that have great looking Tyche.

I realized I had several.
Here are some others I have.

Spain, Carteia

Phrygia, Apameia

Antioch

Cilicia, Korykos

Aeolis, Temnos

Feel free to post your coins with Tyche. Good, bad or ugly.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4805 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  3:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Neat thread idea, Scott - and wonderful coins.

Quote:
Feel free to post your coins with Tyche.

Tyche played a prominent role in the reverses of Parthian tets from the 1st century BC through the fall of the empire in the early 3rd century BC. The depictions of her presenting the king with either a palm branch or diadem serve to legitimize the king's claim to power. Early on her crown is more obviously turreted; later it just looks like a fancy crown.

Here are a few of mine with better renditions of Tyche on their reverses. I'll present them in chronological order, but I suspect you could figure out the chronology based on the stylistic change over time, from Greek naturalism (well, sort of) to the more eastern style.

Orodes II, 57-38 BC

Vardanes II, struck 56 AD

Vologases III, struck 123/4 AD

Vologases III, struck 123/4 AD

Vologases III, struck 126/7 AD

Vologases IV, struck October 155 AD
Edited by Bob L
03/24/2020 3:26 pm
Learn More...
United States
22897 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent thread, Very nice coins from you and Bob. Here is one of mine.

Phoenicia, Arados 66 BC Sear 5991
Pillar of the Community
United States
4805 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  4:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Here is one of mine.

Excellent rendition of Tyche, Ron.
Learn More...
United States
22897 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  6:10 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1285 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  6:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are really great Bob.

I didn't realize tyche was that prominent in Parthian culture.

Seems like Phoenicia took care to present Tyche well.

Nice coin Ron, that's the kind of portrait I've been looking for.
Learn More...
United States
22897 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another one from my collection.

Sidon circa 111 BC, Sear 5950
Learn More...
United States
15437 Posts
 Posted 03/24/2020  8:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to have a Tyche thread--and you guys have some pretty amazing examples. Here is a Vologases IV Tet that can serve as a slightly later example to Bob's post:

"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05