Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

2003 Arkansas Quarter Die Break On Reverse And Cud On Rim Obverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 517Next Topic  

United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  11:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Kgil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Rim cud on the Obverse

Die chip on the wings of the Duck
Would this be worth sending into 3RD party
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  12:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kgil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
What Would this be worth?
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  12:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe it's just the size/quality of the picture, but I'm not even seeing the cud on the obverse. Minor die chips like this are a dime a dozen. Might be able to sell it for $2 on ebay, but then you have to ask yourself if it's worth the effort of photographing, posting, and shipping for two bucks. Certainly not worth sending to a third party, and, generally speaking, third party verification does very little for die chips, cuds, and breaks. It's an error that's pretty obvious to the untrained eye, and, unless the coin is in the mid MS60s or better, you're not really adding much value by having it confirmed as an AU55 or whatever.
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  8:22 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kgil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Reverse on the ducks wing on the left
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  8:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kgil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cud along the rim towards the bottom . I should have taken a picture at a different angle
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44366 Posts
 Posted 03/27/2020  9:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you know what a cud and a chip is? A cud is when the outer edge of the die breaks away:

Note the image on the right. If a die cud happened that outside edge would be affected, as well as the obverse as well. (showing weakness)
Small cud:
https://imgs.inkfrog.com/pix/coop49..._reverse.jpg
Medium Cud:

Large cud:

Die chips are on the center of devices and are common. How common?

So I doubt that you have a cud. We could have seen it from the images you posted.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  09:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kgil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So it is a die chip on the left wing on the duck right on the top of the wing
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  10:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kgil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I made the images larger

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44366 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like damage on the wing. Note the metal movement. Not a premium for the coin. Just face value for this.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  10:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kgil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a chip on the edge of the left wing which should not be there. I found this one while looking through 10 rolls of Arkansas
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  10:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Assuming it is a die chip on the wing (I'll take your word for it that it's not just damage, since the picture isn't great and it might just be hard to tell), it still is at most a ~$2 coin. Small die chips are extremely common. I'd say I find 1-2 minor ones per roll, and one of this size every 10-20 rolls. That may sound rare, but, remember, there are literally billions of quarters in circulation, so one per 10-20 rolls means there are still millions of die chip errors out there, which is well above the collecting demand. I would probably still put a die chip of this size aside and keep it in a tube of minor die chip quarters, but it isn't really worth anything and I certainly wouldn't be having it graded or even putting it in it's own flip.
Edited by SamCoin
03/28/2020 10:36 am
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  12:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Cujohn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Die chips are not worth 8 times face. If they are, I have thousands of them that I'll sell to you for 4 times face, I make money, you make money.
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 03/28/2020  1:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not saying they're "worth" anything, Cujohn, but they do sell for about that for a die chip of this size on ebay. Slightly more if it's a named variety like the "snowy roof" Homestead

Here's one that sold for $5 https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-P-Sno...AOSw1kZeMN0x

I mean, people will buy "In God We Rust" quarters for like $10 bucks a pop on there, and those are even less worthwhile in my opinion, so...

My point is just that a small die chip is worth at most a small premium, and definitely nothing to get looked at by a 3rd party as the poster suggested. We're on the same side of this.
Edited by SamCoin
03/28/2020 1:33 pm
United States
36 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  11:48 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kgil to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone's input. I put it on ebay and will see what happens. Curious to see what other people will do.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 517Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05