Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spraying Coins With Rubbing Alcohol In Light Of Covid19

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,469Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19315 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Odd, some merchants here not accepting plastic or checks.

Makes one think that there is now a plastic virus around.
just carl
Learn More...
United States
86257 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  10:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Odd, some merchants here not accepting plastic or checks.
Odd that.

Checks I get. No one should take checks.

But plastic?

One of the drive-thrus here has a sign that says they cannot take cash; credit/debit only. I do not know whether it is for health reasons or they cannot make change (with banks limiting their services), but it is interesting to note.
Valued Member
United States
170 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  10:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add river4449 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That seems odd for sure, and I agree- everyone will be infected to an extent. Only difference between this and the flu is that the flu has a vaccine. Washing coins isn't really ever a good idea, you can damage the value of anything you find. But I can imagine the amount of germs exchanged through money and CRH is boundless.
regards, Jasper- "river4449"

PMs are open, whether you have a question or simply wish to talk.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16524 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  4:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's it, its all a conspiracy by governments around the world to make us all go cashless.
Gary Schmidt
Edited by Conder101
04/01/2020 4:45 pm
Learn More...
United States
86257 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
That's it, its all a conspiracy by governments around the world to make us all go cashless.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3376 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  1:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Only difference between this and the flu is that the flu has a vaccine

One important way it differs from other "flu" viruses/ outbreaks is that the rate of transmission (called the Reproduction Rate) is estimated to be roughly 50% higher than in earlier pandemics (1957, 1968, 2009) and twice as high as seasonal flu.

And based on what is currently known, it is estimated to be ten times more lethal than season flu (deaths/confirmed cases), though this number could come down if broader testing determines that vast numbers of people had the disease and were asymptomatic.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16524 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  2:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
One important way it differs from other "flu" viruses/ outbreaks is that the rate of transmission (called the Reproduction Rate) is estimated to be roughly 50% higher than in earlier pandemics (1957, 1968, 2009) and twice as high as seasonal flu.

I keep hearing that and I have to wonder if it is true. During a typical flu season in four month it spreads around the world and there are hundreds of millions of cases. With this virus in four months it has spread around the world and we haven't broken a million cases yet. I'm sure the crack downs on gatherings and social distancing has helped to keep the number down, but by hundreds of millions of cases? and for a disease that is supposed to have a much higher transmission rate? Doesn't seem right.

Gary Schmidt
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3376 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is.

But the infection also seems to spread more easily than other diseases, including seasonal influenza. Calculations of the virus's basic reproduction number, or R0 the number of people on average one infected person will pass the virus to suggest a range of 2-2.5.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00758-2

The same number for seasonal flu is 1.28
Pillar of the Community
United States
1843 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  07:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add hfjacinto to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is also no built in immunity to Covid 19. So while a percentage of the population has some immunity to the Flu, there doesn't seem to be any for Covid. The people that have it can get a mild case, and the vast majority do, but not having immunity will cause it to spread much faster. Eventually herd immunity will develop which will result in much less spread.

From all the reading I did, a vast majority of the population getting Covid 19 is expected and is good, what the lock downs and quarantines are trying to do is spread out that curve so hospitals can handle the people that get it bad. In Germany the death rate has been really low as they have the ICU space to currently keep ahead of the curve. NJ and NY are hitting peak hospital usage now, hence why those states are being aggressive in the measures to have people practice social distance. In the end the vast majority of us will get Covid 19. Otherwise flare up will keep occurring (like the reemergence in China and Hong Kong)
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3376 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  08:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
We can learn some things about how bad this pandemic may be by comparing to the last time there was a similar outbreak of a new influenza virus, in 2009-2010. In that pandemic, it was later estimated that 60 million Americans contracted the virus. There were about 274,000 hospitalizations and 12,500 deaths. About a third of Americans over 60 (or 7% of the total population) already had some resistance to the disease.

The United States will surpass that number of deaths next week, well before the disease "peaks."

I think we were all around in 2009-10. I do not remember hospitals exceeding capacity anywhere, or refrigerated trucks serving as makeshift morgues. So there are both numerical and anecdotal comparisons that give a feel for whether there is something different this time.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,469Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.84 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05