Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Review Of 1909 Newfoundland 50 Cents Coin

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,005Next Topic
Page: of 2

United States
13 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  1:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Goatza to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! I'm new to this forum and was wondering if anyone could let me know if this coin has any value?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2930 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  1:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin "trends" for $15 Cdn in VG-8 & $17 in F-12, which is approx $10.50 and $12 US. Given the condition of the coin, I think that you are talking scrap silver price with very little numismatic value or premium.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47763 Posts
 Posted 03/31/2020  6:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That says it well.

to the CCF!
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goatza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the responses!
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  1:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The Newfoundland coins are terrific collectables. There's an achievable number of them - around 300 in total, not including some of the (many) super odd-ball varietals. Some are quite expensive but it's possible to restrict yourself to lower grades for those guys. They're also a little less well known than the Canadian coins.... there's sort of a critical mass of interest so there are people to talk to but it's a little off radar.
United States
13 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  3:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Goatza to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the info Silver101. If you know anyone that might be interested, please let me know.
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  07:28 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect you're out of luck on that one: the 1909 50 c is pretty rare at high grade - there are fewer than 30 of them rated mint state in the PCGS POP reports. But there are currently more than 30 of them on eBay alone - most are comparable or better than the one you posted.

But I do think these are lovely coins. The 1865 - 1920 Newfoundland reverses are superior to anything Canada produced. Whereas the Canadian coins are excessively frilly and the font is too small to read, even on a coin that's in good shape, the NFLD issue are all clearly legible and have a simple but elegant design. I love them...
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  12:49 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As for the 1909 50 Newfoundland cent, there were $200,000 minted. That, with them being a later date, makes them quite available in low grades.

I love the Newfoundland coins as well, however there are only approx 147 Newfoundland coins and varieties that I am aware of.

Silver101, I'd love to see your reference list for Newfoundland coins. Would you share it?
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  1:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have a PDF of a book written (but never published) about these coins that identifies an enormous number of varieties. Some of them are decidedly minor however not all. As it's not published I think it would be a bad idea for me to share it or the author's name but I can ask him about connecting people more discretely...
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  2:50 pm  Show Profile   Check TheDeductible's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add TheDeductible to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Please do. I'd really like to have a copy to identify these other varieties.

Thanks
Poland
40 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  04:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silver101 I would also very much like to see that book, if at all possible... I have been a huge admirer of the NFLND series since I started collecting. Having been a dealer in Montreal for quite a few years, I picked up a fair number of high grade pieces at what seemed ludicrous money considering scarcity back in the early 2000s - studying them, I began to notice unlisted variants, but have never found a good resource on the issues. Again, would love to see that book - maybe have something to add!
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
hi Goetza - I don't think we're supposed to include contact info here - if you can change your set up to accept PMs then I can send you an email (that's what I did for The Deductible...
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oops - this "hi Goetza - I don't think we're supposed to include contact info here - if you can change your set up to accept PMs then I can send you an email (that's what I did for The Deductible..." was actually intended for @norantyki
Poland
40 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  10:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi @Silver101, I might have missed something as I'm new here, but I think that I enabled members to send me emails - on my profile, there should be a link.
Valued Member
Canada
178 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  11:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Clicked on the email button and a note comes up saying that 'this member does not wish to receive emails". I'm a relatively newby here myself so I may be doing it wrong!
Poland
40 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  02:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silver101, Ive just checked, it says that new members don't have access to the email system for security reasons.

*** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. ***
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 1,005Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 10.77 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05