Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1888 Large Cent , 8 Over 8 ?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 582Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2388 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  6:28 pm Show Profile   Check Wade's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Wade to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've seen pictures of the double 888 , and the repunched middle 8 , but see no reference to an 8/8 first 8.

Is this something new? or common and not reported/documented in catalogs?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2947 Posts
 Posted 04/01/2020  8:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All of the 8's were repunched to some degree on most of the 1888's. Somes one, sometimes two, and sometimes all of them R/P'd. The ones with all three 8's repunched with nice offset have a little premium, but the others not.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
795 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  09:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Wade this coin has been discussed several times in the past a search should come up more info.
You should find a die crack at leaf #7 and on the obverse a die crack immediately after the "C" in Canada.
Below is a close up of the same date as yours only in better condition, note all eights are doubled

Cheers, Bill

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2947 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  09:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of the '88's that Hounddog and I mention is on p324 (as well as pgs 322 & 323 concerning digit spacing) of the 2011 Charlton in the back, as well as a short explanation of what can be found on any number of Reverse working dies.
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 04/02/2020  11:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Note the repunched (at the lower right) 2nd 8 in the date in Bill's photo. This is a feature in many of the 1888 reverse dies. Some dealers and others get very excited about this, but it is so common as to be trivial and can essentially be ignored. The repunched 8 varieties involving the first and/or third 8 are rather more interesting, though the premium they should command is a matter for some debate.
Edited by JHax
04/02/2020 11:49 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2947 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  07:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is my understanding, and what I've seen on all of mine, that the 2nd 8 on ALL the '88's is repunched, some more offset than others. I really like the 1888's and one of our flock on here has been doing a concentrated study on the date, doing tracking.
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  08:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Two of us are working together on the 1888s. Most, but not all, of the 1888 reverse dies have the 2nd 8 repunched. Amusingly, those without the 2nd 8 repunched are much scarcer than those with it. It almost seems like some kind of let down! There's a special reason for this anomaly which will be explained in the catalog we're working on.
Edited by JHax
04/04/2020 08:16 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2947 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  09:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Then there may be 3 of you working on it, unless your partner is Canadian.
Valued Member
United States
281 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  09:42 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JHax to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
He is.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1478 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add papeldog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the dp8 or 8's for this year but my favorite is the bead punch
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 582Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.49 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05