Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Roman Provincial #1 - ID Help

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 237Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
2873 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  9:24 pm Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought a lot of 13 roman provincials recently and I'm in the progress of IDing them. There are 5 I'm currently stuck on and I hoping for a nudge in the right direction on these.

Here's the first one:

29.5mm
14.56g

Definitely She-Wolf and twins reverse, but I'm struggling to figure out the emperor or the region/city because of the condition.

Pillar of the Community
United States
949 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  10:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tanman.

This may be a stretch of the imagination but I'm thinking Caracalla. The weight in particular led me to this variety and region. SYRIA, Seleucis and Pieria. Laodicea ad Mare.

Here's the link: https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=436903

Pillar of the Community
United States
2873 Posts
 Posted 04/03/2020  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of the other coins in the lot were Syria as well, so this makes sense. Also the lettering on the reverse matches!

Thanks for the help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2873 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  3:10 pm  Show Profile   Check Tanman2001's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Tanman2001 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking at my coin in-hand, I think the reverse die is identical to the one you posted Biancasdad. Spacing of the lettering, the design, lettering relative to the design... it matches.

After some research I found two types that are nearly identical except for the obverse inscription. One is MAVS ANTONINVS PIVS AV GER CM and the other is the one you posted; MAVBEL ANTONINVS PIVS AVG PBG MAX. I cannot make out the obverse inscription on my coin well enough to tell the difference but since the reverse is identical to the one on acsearch, it's probably that type.

Thanks a lot for the help!
Pillar of the Community
United States
949 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  4:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Biancasdad to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You're welcome.

I trust your eyes better than mine.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 237Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.42 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05