Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can't Help But Notice...

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 488Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
1507 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  7:29 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A certain someone has been noticeably absent from the bidding on this group...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CONTEMPORA...133373098735

Would be lying if I said I wasn't curious why, although whatever it is, it is.

Whatever the case, it HAS been providing a bit of insight into (the rest of) the market for CC8R.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one hammered at a nice price. Who's collection are these coming from?
Bedrock of the Community
United States
33563 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  05:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
And it's the plate coin and only known example.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1507 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  06:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
https://www.ebay.com/itm/CONTEMPORA...133373100315

I didn't realize this one went so nuts... The bottom piece auctioned on eBay about two years ago.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4947 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  12:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That is quite a group of CCC 8Rs. I know why I have not been bidding just in case I am the missing party referred to in this thread.

There are really two reasons for my recent absence form eBay. First I have been rather sick. Before Corona Virus I contracted Influenza B. It laid me low for nearly two months and I did very little.

I have also had a serious financial reversal and in 2019 I was forced to declare Bankruptcy because of serious medical bills. Since that time I have bid very judiciously as my budget is now very limited.

I know that John Lorenzo has basically turned to other interests and he sold his collection 8R counterfeits. Gordon is still around and buys CCC 8Rs from time to time.

This collection is being sold by a "broker" for another collector. I have been in contact with the seller because I was an under bidder on several coins he has sold. I knew who owned the 1846 Charles III which was one of the first coins sold in this group. Since I considered it exceptionally rare I was concerned about a scam using the same pictures I had used for the book. After inquiring, I found out the sale is completely on the up and up. The seller Bob Merchant (1799) has not disclosed who he is selling for but I have dealt with him in the past and he is an honest man. I checked from the other end and found out the last owner I was aware of had sold the coin.

I too am following with interest this sale. It is changing the prices radically.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1507 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  12:56 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add realeswatcher to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bob, you didn't have to volunteer all that. I WAS certainly curious why I hadn't noticed your FB score in the bidding histories (there was a time over the past years when if I saw a certain type of piece, I didn't have to even look at the bidding history to see who bought it :-> )... honestly, I thought it was perhaps you that had consigned these to him.

"1799" is definitely a legit guy... he typically handles interesting exonumia, IIRC, from over the years - scarce counterstamps, etc. I thought it wasn't impossible that it was his own collection, but I guess not.

The only piece I was going to legitimately bid stupidly for was the 1741 pillar CC... had a $600+ snipe set, wasn't really close. Aside from that, some of these have gone for pretty strong money... but then again, some are very interesting pieces.

Quote:
I know that John Lorenzo has basically turned to other interests and he sold his collection 8R counterfeits. Gordon is still around and buys CCC 8Rs from time to time.

LOL, John bought a interesting French 1/2 ecu CC from Gordon I had on my watchlist... just today!!

But anyway, Bob, best wishes to you getting things back in order in the midst of this general madness going on. Keep your chin up!
Pillar of the Community
United States
4947 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  01:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
realeswatcher At this point I have to keep my CHINS up. As my grandfather would have said I have more chins than Chinatown. That may not be politically correct but I am too old to care.

I am still actively hunting for Cap and Ray counterfeits.

John outbid me for the 1/2 Ecu as well it was a nice piece.

The Pillar dollar looked like a definite CCC type. I have one possibly from the same die sinker. Clearly not recent.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1039 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  7:28 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jgenn to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looking back on what's already been sold, I see I missed out on the 1772 Mo FF. I would have bid strongly on that one.

It's so good to hear from swamperbob after so long!
Edited by jgenn
04/06/2020 7:37 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 488Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05