Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Coin A Fake? (Id: Copy Silver Eagle)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 534Next Topic  

United States
22 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  7:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dmille2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Going through my grandmothers coins I found this. I believe it's a walking liberty American silver dollar. However I read that they didn't start production of these coins until 1986. I did the silver test on back with a drop of bleach and it did tarnishes little.

Any ideas?
Edited by Dmille2
04/04/2020 7:42 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
2003 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  7:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add nfine to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The word "COPY" below the eagles tail feathers is a sure indicator this is not an authentic Silver Eagle.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1006 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  8:08 pm  Show Profile   Check CalzoneManiac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add CalzoneManiac to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The cartoonish look of this fake is another indicator.
Looking for pre-1961 Russian and Soviet coins.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1724 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  8:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jasper62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's a good thing it's not a rare coin. You would have destroyed any value it would have had putting bleach on it
United States
22 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dmille2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. It's weird because I swear I had this coin in since the 80's
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2130 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  9:46 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

Is the coin the same size as a regular silver dollar? Does this coin have a year on the obverse?

The first year for the Silver Eagle is 1986.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3434 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  9:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17159 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  12:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is not a fake; it is a copy, and proports to be that.

One way of getting around the Law, to deceive the suckers.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4862 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  4:39 pm  Show Profile   Check Foxwoods Man's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Foxwoods Man to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I learned that any coin that says "copy" isn't real. No further research needed
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 534Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05