Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1949 Canada Cent Punched On Foreign Planchet

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 694Next Topic  

United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  10:35 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add wpjson to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have received several 1949 cents reportedly punched on a foreign planchet. The planchet was smaller than the Canadian one which has resulted in coin that exhibits a wavy or rippled effect because of the insufficiency of planchet material.

Does anyone have any information about these kind of cents? They are beautiful red coins, but I have not been able to locate any information on such a happening. Thank you.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48017 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  10:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Let's start with some pics, please.

to the CCF!
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  10:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wpjson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am still feeling my way around here. I will post photographs in the a.m. The ripple effect is hard to catch, but I will give it my best.
Learn More...
United States
86360 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4206 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chequer to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The description sounds like an acid coin, but pics are needed to confirm anything beyond speculation.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
881 Posts
 Posted 04/04/2020  11:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add johnnysprawl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The description sounds like an acid coin

Most likely.

The RCM did not mint any coins for foreign countries in 1949...
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  1:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wpjson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The big problem is a "ripple" is hard to photograph, but I hope this helps.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
2947 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  1:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you take a pic after removing it from the 2 X 2? What's the weight and diameter (measured with a caliper if possible).
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  9:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wpjson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
these photographs are of another coin, which I thought showed the ripple better. Unfortunately, I do not think they show much on a photograph.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7947 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  11:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Weight?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1578 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  09:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Smallcentguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The rims on this coin appear to be more or less properly filled out to me, suggesting that the planchet was more or less of normal size when it was struck. I am not sure that the coin is necessarily underweight.

The odd lustre, odd toning around the date on the top coins and unusual & heavy carbon spots suggest to me that the coin has been cleaned or chemically treated in some way.
United States
8 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  12:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add wpjson to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not just a coupe of coins that I am talking about. There are a couple of rolls. Claim is the previous owner bought them several decades ago. I do not think one would take the time to clean that many, card them up and forget about them. But I do not know. I probably need to get one of the into the hands of an expert. Maybe NGC. Photographs do not work.

As for the weight, I do not have a scale that gives me a number, but I do have one that compares the weight of 2 different items small enough to fit on the plates. It shows there may we a very slight weight difference between these coins and another cent which is supposed to have the same weight.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7947 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  12:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Without a diameter and thickness measurement or weight, we can only speculate.
We can't determine size or weight from pics and that is what is needed to determine if these are something unusual or not.

BTW
Coins are struck not punched.
Only the blank planchets are punched.
"insufficiency of planchet material" does not cause waves or ripples, it can cause a soft strike not evident on your well struck coins.
Save yourself time and money, before you send one off to NGC take it to your local friendly post office and have it weighed and measured (unless that's not allowed in your area at the moment).
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 694Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05