Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is Toluene Safe For Coins?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 523Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:38 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a coin with what I believe is wax stuck to the front of it, and acetone doesn't seem to be doing the job. I read on the chemistry stack exchange page that either toluene or xylene might work. Are either of these safe for coins?

Edit: seeing also that vegetable oil could work?
Edited by SamCoin
04/05/2020 8:40 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
3303 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Check Pacificoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Pacificoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it IS WAX just heat the coin up a little bit should come right off
Then acetone .
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
How would you recommend heating it so as to avoid damaging the coin, Pacific?
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3362 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes. Toluene is safe. Or mineral spirits.
Yes also to vegetable oil as a second choice.

Could even try a soak in Goop or GooGone if you've got some around.
Edited by tdziemia
04/05/2020 8:50 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  8:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin in question

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3362 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  9:18 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OK, but where is the front that has the wax?
I would worry that anything removed from that coin would make it look worse.
Just my opinion, but maybe others here have had success and can advise.

Edited by tdziemia
04/05/2020 9:20 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  9:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless I'm mistaken, the wax is all the darker brown stuff on the coin, td. It's on both sides. My bad, I see I wrote "on the front" in the post description, but yeah, both sides.
Edited by SamCoin
04/05/2020 9:24 pm
Learn More...
United States
16013 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sc, a couple thoughts for you, since you are asking for advice. First, if the other side of this Half Cent looks much the same, then I wouldn't touch this coin with anything--I'd just leave it be and keep the surfaces as original as possible. Second, you definitely should be flattening the staples on your 2x2s. Left proud like they are now, they might scratch adjacent coins while you are storing them and you definitely want to avoid that.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

Pillar of the Community
United States
682 Posts
 Posted 04/05/2020  10:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add SamCoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Spence, a lot of people have said that on here when I've posted coins, and I'm slowly going through and doing it, but it's not really a high priority since I store them all in slide boxes that keep the flips about half a centimeter apart anyway.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13407 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  08:57 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it's wax that's on that coin I would try soaking it in hot distilled water for a few minutes just until the wax softens up , then see if you can peal it off of the coin .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16520 Posts
 Posted 04/06/2020  10:14 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Toluene is safe but really smells and is harder to get than xylene and xylene doesn't smell anywhere near as bad.
Gary Schmidt
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19315 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An Arc Welders Torch would melt any wax on that coin. However, after that it would be difficult to find the coin.
If it is really wax, placing it in boiling hot water also might get rid of that wax.
Yet the problem may well be it is not wax at all. And if not, such attempts may well ruin that coin completely.
Best let sleeping dogs lie.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
600 Posts
 Posted 04/07/2020  3:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bud250r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the way the coin looks as it is.
I would leave it alone.
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 523Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05