Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Lowest Serial Number You've Found?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 441Next Topic  
Valued Member
United Kingdom
104 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  2:17 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just a fun little topic...

I've searched every note I have had for many years and the lowest number I've ever found is 000034. I'd love to find 000001, was wondering if anyone here has had such luck? If not, what is the lowest you have found?

The notes must have been found by chance - mine (an English tenner) was used as payment by someone at a stall I was running, unfortunately it has been written on and isn't in great shape in general. Nonetheless, I was very pleased to come across it and it is proudly in my collection.

So...what y'all got?
Edited by Collector28
04/08/2020 2:19 pm
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
654 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  3:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Anaximander to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When English banknotes are first produced, the lowest serials are presented to certain individuals. No. 1 goes to the Queen.

Does anyone know the complete issue of who gets what?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
47948 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  4:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's my lowest, but obviously I didn't find it!

Valued Member
United Kingdom
471 Posts
 Posted 04/08/2020  6:55 pm  Show Profile   Check notgeldman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add notgeldman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A scarce German note made of calico, dating from 1914 with a low serial number:

For notgeld collectors, serial numbers can be a good indication of a very low print run and therefore scarcity.
I had a piece with serial number '1'...but can't currently locate it. I'll post a few more if you want me to?
Valued Member
United Kingdom
104 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  05:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great note Coinfrog - absolutely beauty.

@notgeldman - Also a great note! Your notgeld collection seems to have no bounds

However, I am more interested in chance findings - want to find out if anyone has been fortunate enough to come across an extremely low number in circulation.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
104 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  06:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Anaximander - The queen gets AA01 000001, then various high-ups get the rest - for the polymer fiver Prince Philip got the second, the prime minister the third, the chancellor of the exchequer the fourth, the governor of the bank the fifth, the deputy governor the sixth, the chief cashier the seventh and various other museums, organisations and people got some others (the Churchill War Rooms got 001945 for instance). I don't think there's a set pecking order except for the queen definitely getting the first - I'm sure in previous years the order has differed.
Edited by Collector28
04/09/2020 06:12 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  07:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add cashhound to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I am more interested in chance findings - want to find out if anyone has been fortunate enough to come across an extremely low number in circulation.

Lowest I've found in the wild . . .

Valued Member
United Kingdom
104 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  07:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Decent
Learn More...
United States
86236 Posts
Pillar of the Community
Canada
881 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  3:18 pm  Show Profile   Check walk2dwater's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add walk2dwater to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd love to find 000001, was wondering if anyone here has had such luck? If not, what is the lowest you have found?

Great topic "Collector28"
I sure would love to find a #1 note.

Quote:

When English banknotes are first produced, the lowest serials are presented to certain individuals.

Incidentally, some of our early DOC (Dominion of Canada) & first series (1935/37) were also sent to the royal family (& our PM/Gov General) I believe. At least I have read post on other forums (or auctions) stating such. I don't think that is the case anymore.

So here is my lowest SN found (my typical best low # finds were in the 100'S):
http://goccf.com/t/318765#2719514 br /
Valued Member
United Kingdom
104 Posts
 Posted 04/09/2020  3:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Oh my

0000002 is our winner so far! Makes my 000034 look rather rubbish in comparison!
Valued Member
Poland
58 Posts
 Posted 05/01/2020  11:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I got, from an ATM at Dworzec Wilenski in Warsaw (5 mins from where I live), a 50zl note with serial A00000011 - I am a new member, so cant upload pics, but I have since had it certified at PMG (6030380-009) at Gem UNC 65. Favourite note in my collection, partly due to the story behind it. I made a quick calculation, and took out the rest of the low serial notes (up to #89). The reselling of the rest actually paid for the (not unsubstantial) home renovation that I was taking cash out for!
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 441Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.83 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05