Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Caracalla Pick Up And A Decent Clean Up

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 509Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
874 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2020  1:15 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Picked up a very nice Caracalla from our very own Victor.
Caracalla. AR Denarius, A.D. 214 (17x19mm 3.2g) ANTONINVS PIVS AVG GERM; laureate head right.
P M TR P XVII COS IIII P P; Jupiter, bare to the waist, standing l., holding thunderbolt and scepter: at feet, eagle. RIC IV Rome 240

I went ahead and cleaned it:

1. Three - 15min soaks in Ammonia and then lightly brushing with a used soft toothbrush (I used a waterpick brush - nice and small and easy to use on small areas..
2. Soaks in a lemon and distilled water mix and picking with a wet blunt toothpick and a cleaning Pencil (Le Crayon a Andre -Fiberglass Coin & Artifact Cleaning Pencil) . I also use a Q-tip (cotton ear swap to remove the debris. While doing this, the coin should always be wet. I dip my finger in the mixture and put a a dab on the coin before touching. I also used straight lemon juice on some spots.

Notes: I don't recommend using the toothpick and cleaning pencil unless you know what you're doing and have had some practice. I use a tripod magnifier (It's like a mini-microscope) and only touch the encrustation and I mean touch - NOT scrape. It's a long process, but it's relaxing and satisfyng for me anyway.

I'm happy with the overall results, but have issues that I knew were going to come up. The toning in the heavily encrusted area is lighter than the unaffected areas. The "rust" stains on the reverse are stubborn and I guess can be removed with further effort. But, I'm leaving it for now.

Thanks for looking and if you have some before and afters - please share.

Edited by travelcoin
04/23/2020 2:59 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1072 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GMS5 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice cleaning job done.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4573 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2020  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Greasy Fingers to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
nice results...Where can one pick-up the tripod magnifier?
I'm by no means a pro and will never claim to be...just my 2 cents
A smile costs nothing to give or receive....GF
If it's not hockey, it's not a sport
Learn More...
United States
23556 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice coin, good job cleaning it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
874 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks guys, the tripod was given to me, but on the box the company is "United" Tripod Magnifier made in India. I also use a "WITHit" magnifier with a built in light. That comes in handy. It's a 2x with a 4x bubble. The tripod is 10x
Edited by travelcoin
04/23/2020 7:07 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2290 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2020  6:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice looking coin...I assume the cleaned photo colour is off?

IMO...I wouldn't have cleaned the coin as I liked the look of it before.
This is purely a personal preference as I'm just not into shiny...
But the coin certainly has lovely detail and you've made a very nice job of the cleaning process.

Quote:
Thanks for looking and if you have some before and afters - please share.

Here's a Galerius that I cleaned many years ago...
Pillar of the Community
United States
874 Posts
 Posted 04/23/2020  7:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Palouche, very good job on the cleaning. Just distilled water and some scrubbing? Bronzes are difficult as I have over cleaned a few here and there. Silver is a bit more forgiving.

Quote:
...I wouldn't have cleaned the coin
I like them both ways - I do have some that are not fully cleaned as well. I like the contrast in my collection.
Edited by travelcoin
04/23/2020 7:13 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 509Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2021 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05