Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Square Silver Dirham

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 603Next Topic  
Valued Member

Brazil
90 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2020  4:22 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Oak to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Could anyone help me identify which dynasty or people who minted this silver dirham?

Pillar of the Community
United States
1366 Posts
 Posted 05/02/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A weight might help, but I'm really just posting so I can find it again when someone gives you an answer.
Valued Member
Brazil
90 Posts
 Posted 05/08/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm out of balance. This coin has 5.11 inches....
Pillar of the Community
United States
1366 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That means nothing to me. You can certainly use metric if that is easier for you. If you are giving dimensions there should be two sides.
Valued Member
Brazil
90 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2020  4:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
14x14cm
Pillar of the Community
United States
1366 Posts
 Posted 05/09/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It bears some resemblance to this one:
https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces9624.html
Valued Member
Brazil
90 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  09:31 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This coin is 0.8g. 13.3 in height.
Width: 13.9 at the top 12.9 at the bottom

I received the information that with this weight and height the coin belongs to the Marinid Sultanate of Morocco.
Almohad dirhans have 1.5g
Marinid have 0.8g
And that this coin would be big to be a 1/2 Dirham Almohad
What do you say about that?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1366 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  3:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's possible, Though I'm not sure how you would be sure, there obverse and reverse just show parts of the usual religious inscription.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 09/18/2020  10:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Muwahhid type, 2 of 3 lines mostly legible on either side. The legend on the first image is / ... / [al-am]r khalla lillah ("the command belongs entirely to God") / [la quwwat] ala billah ("there is no strength except in God"). The second image reads Allah rabbana ("God is our Lord") / Muhammad rass[ulana] ("Muhammad is our messenger") / ... / The weight range overall for the anonymous Muwahhid dirhams is from about .8 to 1.5g. Hohertz 24 is 0.81-0.91g.
Edited by Kushanshah
09/18/2020 10:19 pm
Valued Member
Brazil
90 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Oak to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't have the work of Hohertz. Is it a Half Dirham?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1060 Posts
 Posted 09/19/2020  2:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Kushanshah to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hohertz is vague. He suggests that lightweight coins may be millares (Christian imitations) but that makes more sense for a coin 10% light than for one that is very close to 50% of the expected 1.55g.
Valued Member
United Arab Emirates
283 Posts
 Posted 09/23/2020  09:40 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Pheroow to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is not necessarily almohad (Almuwahhid) square dirham. It is more likely a Merinid (Marinid) dirham because of the cruder style of calligraphy. Merinid dirhams are similar in legends to Almohad dirhams except "al-mahdiyyu imamuna" on almohad dirhams is replaced with "al-qur'anu imamuna". This portion is unfortunately not visible on this coin, but because of the calligraphy style, it is more likely Merinid.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 603Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05