Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Twelve Olympian Gods.

First page | Previous Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 70 / Views: 3,691Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2080 Posts
 Posted 08/13/2020  06:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Jim!....
Quote:
Only five (?) to go now.

Yep the set is starting to look nice now....Dionysos is on his way to me which leaves Hera (I have one in the pipeline), Ares (know the type I like but haven't found one yet), Demeter (Again know the type but haven't found one up to scratch), And of course Vulcan (Still not decided but have started to really like the wacky Malaca types).

I'm thoroughly enjoying the research and buying of the coins. One thing that has surprised me is that I've managed to stay completely focused on the set. As you know there are so many nice type coins out there and once this set is complete will continue adding lesser known gods/goddesses and Nymphs.

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2080 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2020  06:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Numero Ocho.....8
Fell for the portrait on this one...What more can I say!?..The reverse is offset but still has nice detail and shows the Thyrsos which I liked..See below..

DIONYSOS....
He was the son of Zeus (As I said before this guy got around and obviously forgot!) and ?...I'm gonna stick with...... 'Semele' who was the youngest daughter of the Phoenician hero Cadmus and Harmonia...They've got the same colour eyes.......
There are other claiments of course such as Demeter, Persephone, Ammon and Amaltheia.

He was God of the vine, grape-harvest, wine-making, wine (Oh yes), fertility (Sounds good!), ritual madness (Ooh! I like this one!), religious ecstasy (not so much), and theatre (I love a good play)...A guy after my own heart..Wine, ritual madness and theatre !... Maybe just skip the 'religious ecstacy' as I wouldn't want to start a war!)
Symbols associated to him..Thyrsus, grapevine, bull, panther, ivy, goat, masks (What back then aswell!) and the chalice....
The Thyrsos (Thyrsus), which is depicted on the reverse of the OP coin, was a wand or staff of giant fennel carried by Dionysus (Bacchus) and his associates; topped by a pine cone or a bunch of ivy leaves and wreathed with tendrils of vine or ivy. It was a symbol of the immortality of his believers.
The Roman equivalent god was Bacchus.
The coin was minted in Amisos, modern day Samsun in Turkey, under the legendary ruler Mithradates VI. King of Pontus in northern Anatolia from 120-63 BC he expanded the kingdom greatly and even gave Rome a run for its money in the Mithradatic wars.
Here's the coin...
Pontos, Amisos. temp. Mithradates VI, c. 105-85 or 85-65 BC. (16mm, 3.98g, 12h). Struck under Mithradates VI.
Obverse..Ivy wreathed head of Dionysos right.
Reverse..Filleted thyrsos, bell attached with fillet, AMI-ΣOY flanking across field, monogram lower right.
Mint..Amisos (Samsun, Turkey)
SNG Black Sea 1192-5; HGC 7, 251. Good VF

Reverse legend...Anyone have an idea as to the Monogram?

Here's the set so far....

Pillar of the Community
United States
5326 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2020  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Enjoyed the latest addition and update, Paul.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United Kingdom
447 Posts
 Posted 08/30/2020  11:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Another lovely addition to the set Paul, and a super portrait of Dionysos. I haven't seen one like that before. A really interesting write-up too.

The set is really coming along now, and the image of all eight coins surrounding Mount Olympus is most attractive.

Jim
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2080 Posts
 Posted 08/31/2020  12:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bob and Jim for the comments appreciated.

I've been looking into the monogram and there seems to be 3 more commonly depicted types the op coin looks similar to type 2? Thoughts anyone?

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2080 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  1:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So here we go....Numero Nueve..9.....Another tough one to acquire...Really liked the detail and the simplistic depictions on both sides, with an added provenance bonus of it being an Ex Harlan J. Berk.

HERA...
Hera was the wife and sister of Zeus...And the daughter of the Titans Cronos and Rhea..She wasn't actually born like us mortals but was apparently regurgitated by her father Cronos!
Goddess of women, marriage, the family and childbirth.
Symbols associated with her...Pomegranate, peacock feather, diadem, cow, lily, lotus, cuckoo, panther, scepter, throne, lion
Roman equivalent goddess...Juno.
This coin was minted in Samos a city/island just off the west coast of Turkey and part of the ancient region known as Ionia. It was the birthplace of Greek philosophers such as the mathematician Pythagorus, Melissus, Epicurus and the astronomer Aristarchus being the first person to propose that the earth revolves around the sun (What a mad man! We all know it revolves around money!). Samos was a rich and powerful city-state renowned for wine production, which continues to this day, in fact most of the island is still covered in grape vine. Also famous for its red pottery (Samian ware), @BobL might like this, with its smooth surfaces, rich red-brown colour and sometimes finely detailed, it is quite 'beautiful'!

Samos also has some very important UNESCO sites..The archaic temple of Hera herself 'the Heraion' which stood 6km outside the ancient city. According to tradition, the Goddess Hera was born and raised here and for this reason her temple in Heraion is the biggest in the whole ancient world 109m long x 55m wide and 25m high also commonly known as Kolona (column) due to the one and only surviving column still standing.

And 'The tunnel of Eupalinos (also known as the Eupalinian aqueduct). An amazing engineering feat, being excavated around 6BC, this tunnel was just over 1km long running right through mount Kastro allowing the city to bring in its own fresh water supply from an inland natural spring.

Here's the sweet little coin...
Ionia Samos AE13 Circa 350 BC, 13.07 mm/3.08 grams
Obverse: Head of Hera left
Reverse: Lion's scalp facing
SNG Copenhagen 1694

The set so far....This hopefully will be my criteria for max/min diameter size to try and keep the set coherent....
They still seem to sit nicely together at this point.
Edited by Palouche
10/31/2020 6:13 pm
Valued Member
Learn More...
United Kingdom
447 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  7:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Novicius to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another super addition Paul. Great detail on this coin too, well in keeping with the others in the set. The set is fairly coming along.

I enjoyed the pictorial, and write up for Samos. Some surprises there. The Tunnel of Eupalinos was indeed a very impressive feat of engineering for the time, and how on earth did they erect such huge columns back then? Wow!

Jim
Pillar of the Community
United States
5326 Posts
 Posted 10/31/2020  8:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Excellent update, Paul.

Quote:
@BobL might like this

Indeed yes! Beautiful examples of Samian ware.

Great new coin. The lion's scalp is awesome.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1308 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  10:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Doucet to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Your set is really looking great, Paul.

Always a pleasure to see the next one.

The similar patinas are super, super write ups too.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Spain
2080 Posts
 Posted 11/01/2020  5:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Palouche to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comment guys, appreciated.

Yes Bob the pottery is beautiful but seems to be quite expensive even as shards!....It actually became quite widespread throughout the Roman empire, being made in Italy and Gaul.
It was also the main pottery used and manufactured for the Romans across the UK....
Apparently a couple of Eastenders, Sam and Ian, took on the franchise..
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 70 / Views: 3,691Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05