Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1822 Farthing D Over D

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 324Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  09:06 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This has a D over D in DEF. I couldn't find mention of this one in the errors listing just the obverse D over D.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
422 Posts
 Posted 05/14/2020  10:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Hogarth to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Always difficult to tell for sure on worn coins but it certainly looks like there's some doubling going on there so it might be an interesting discovery.
Edited by Hogarth
05/14/2020 10:24 am
Valued Member
United Kingdom
377 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  09:54 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not aware of an Obverse D/D the only 1 I know is listed as D/D in DEF . I also have one
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
616 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  3:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add moose59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
G4F22. 1822 A Type Obverse D over D or doublets as there some times called obverse 2 with incuse midribs

G4F221. 1822 B Type Obverse D over D or doublets as there some times called, obverse 2 with incuse midribs

These are from http://www.farthingshalfpennyerrors...o/george-iv/

They do not mention reverse D over D. Maybe someone should submit it to them!
Valued Member
United Kingdom
377 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  4:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears the author doesn't know hos obverse from his reverse. The variety shown are same as mine and the date side on this farthing is the reverse. Probably getting confused with some farthings which have the kings head and the date on the same side. I have never heard of the term doublets either.It would be described as D over lower D
United Kingdom
5 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joe lee to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hello all

Just to clarify both the 1822 Farthings on http://www.farthingshalfpennyerrors.com are both obverse 2 which is lower three leaves incurse, obverse 1 is lower three leaves raised.

Both examples have the same reverse ( DD ) but because the obverse dies are different though still obverse 2 with three incurse lower leaves they had to be called something ! hence type A, type B, does anyone have a type C.

Lastly ive hopefully uploaded page`s 4 & 5 out of a 1981 general coin book which list the terminology of doublets or triplets even.

I have a vast amount of books some going back to the late 19th century which I use for information.

The wisest words I can say to any collector is

! If You Have Never Heard Of It ! ! Doesn`t mean it don't exist !

Thank you

Joe Lee.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
377 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  10:26 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice old book you have there but again as I said the author has mixed Obverse with reverse Gratia and DEI as mentioned are on the obverse side but for the point of this post DEF is on the reverse side with Britannia as the subject. Now unless I have been greatly misinformed UK coinage always Has the ruling monarchs head on the obverse side of the coin. Which Makes the DEF D/D clearly a reverse D over Lower D. I probably never heard of those exact phrases as I wasn't born when these words were used and we use a different way now to describe errors. Still fascinating to get a glimpse of the old terminology used back in the day
Edited by zookeeperz
06/03/2020 10:26 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1.14 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05