Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1938-D Jefferson Nickel For Thoughts And Opinions

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 583Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  1:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add RookieBuffaloHun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These wouldn't be Full Steps or could they? What would be overall grade?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48753 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  2:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say MS-64, not FS.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13591 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  2:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The photos are deceiving . Looks like two different coins . Last photo looks MS 65 Not FS .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Pillar of the Community
United States
2069 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  2:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS-64, not FS.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3985 Posts
 Posted 05/18/2020  4:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks MS-66 to me. Surfaces and luster are outstanding.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20829 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Nice MS-65.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RookieBuffaloHun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the Replying, it is a gorgeous coin... Nice gold toning. Wish it had the full steps
Brazil
6 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add FullStepper to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, new to the forum, for sure two coins. Both look to grade MS64 or higher. Very nice coins for the year and where they were minted. The second photo down is a really nice coin and I was extremely critical because of the small nick on the cheek with the cheek being a focal area of the coin. Once you get down below the series of step photos you demonstrate the second coin which is at a funny angle but does show very nice luster and tone, to me it could even grade as high as MS66 on the obverse. The problem is not knowing which reverse goes with this coin but from my experience I'd say it is the sixth photo down which would only grade MS64 with the scuff in the top right field and the spot under the "I" in FIVE.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2069 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  12:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like different images of the same coin to me.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13591 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  4:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Has to be two different coins . Look at the first photo of reverse, the middle of the building does NOT show any ticks nor does the steps. Now look at other reverse pics . Building and steps have hits .
United States
45 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  10:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add ronP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

The center front of the steps is soft, slightly curved, and flattened = no FS.

FS is all about the strike, not wear, so although this is a fine MS-64 coin, the strike does not possess the even quality necessary for FS designation, imho.
Pillar of the Community
United States
2069 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Zurie to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Has to be two different coins

The nicks are obscured by the lighting. Look at the faint oval stain below the C in Montecello. It's there in every photo of the reverse.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
335 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  7:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just light deflection in my opinion on the two different coin question. Still trying to crack the code on proper lighting for consistency. lol. Nice Nickel though less the lack of FS. MS-65
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13591 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  8:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Zurie , Yes I see it . Good eyes .
Edited by T-BOP
05/31/2020 8:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Holy cow! That is a beautiful coin! I'm honestly amazed at how coins like this can end up in circulation. I'm thinking around MS-65, not FS. Wow! If that was full steps, I would've fallen out of my chair.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  2:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add RookieBuffaloHun to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
more photos to give better look...its the same coin...added a 2nd coin to give perspective on the toning.

Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 583Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.69 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05