Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Tetradrachme Thrace , Thasos Or Celtic Imitation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 157Next Topic  

Sweden
25 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  6:05 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Dalmas to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Im stuck with this Tetradrachme Thrakien ,Thasos or celtic (DANUBE) imitation?

Referensnumber?
Links?

Thanks for your time and help.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16958 Posts
 Posted 05/19/2020  7:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Saw an example with similar style on Google Images:
Thrace, after 148BC
I am happy with the style.

If you do a Google Images search for
'Danube Celts imitation tetradrachm', the range of die cutting styles is not similar.

I hope that I am wrong, but
I am a little concerned that the coin pictured may not be genuine, because the 'pasty' surface texture often associated with pressure cast fakes may have been polished to remove this diagnostic feature.
XRF testing** needed to prove my suspicion wrong.

On the other hand, it is possible that the reverse has been fine abrasively cleaned after recovery from ground burial, and the coin is genuine.

**The ancients could not refine silver much above 98% pure although sometimes they did tend to add a tiny amount of alloy. What you are looking for with XRF test with ancient coins is wide range of impurities in the small proportion that is not silver. With modern alloys, the alloy mix is much more discreet, with only copper in the alloy.
Edited by sel_69l
05/19/2020 8:01 pm
Sweden
25 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  02:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Dalmas to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your input sel_691
I am also little concerned about the coin, I dont have the coin in my hand.
Im helping a friend with some ancient coins, there is 3 thrace tetradrachme, 2 of them was more easy to spot as forgerys.

Bedrock of the Community
Australia
16958 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  07:45 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am not certain one way or the other with this coin.
If you can, check the fake data bases.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 157Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05