Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1999 Silver Quarters Encased In Lucite Paperweight-Thrift Store Find

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 820Next Topic  

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  8:40 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DAL1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I enjoy coins and have a bunch but never seriously collected and I have a question for you guys... I found a cool paperweight today at Goodwill. It's the five 1999 quarters encased in a lucite cube (about 2-1/2"). The edges the coins are silver and they are bright and beautiful - the lucite is basically scratch-free. The sticker on the bottom (which has a thin blue layer of lucite) is from HCC in Toledo OH.

I can not find any others at all on the internet. How much is this thing worth? Thinking of putting it on eBay. Thanks in advance for any answers.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50570 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  8:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Pics please. Doubt these have any premium.

to the CCF!
Learn More...
United States
17161 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Spence to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@dal1, first welcome to CCF. Second, yes it is unlikely that the quarters are silver--more likely that they were plated to make them nice and shiny.
"If you climb a good tree, you get a push."
-----Ghanaian proverb

"The danger we all now face is distinguishing between what is authentic and what is performed."
-----King Adz

United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  9:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DAL1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! I'll post a pic in a bit.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/20/2020  9:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DAL1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  06:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thinking we will need more pictures of it, what's the mint mark on the 5 of them, even if they are S proof, Spence makes a good point maybe they were plated. Best pictures you can of front and back of one of them.

If they are silver and not plated melt value of the silver would be around $12-$15 I'd think but nobody is going to spend the time and effort to cut them out of there to melt them (well they might).

Looking at eBay I mean this type of thing could go from $10-$50 and it dosen't look beat up from the picture. It really just depends on who's looking for something like this at whatever time for it to sell.

If they are plated I'd think $10-$25 maybe would get it sold to someone but remember the higher side maybe will not sell quickly.

I don't see anything like this listed on ebay selling in auction format. Seems they put it on there with a Buy it now and best offer and wait for the person to come along.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  09:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DAL1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Big-Kingdom. The mint marks are all P. It is in amazing condition... probably never displayed and definitely not used as a paperweight.

It's funny... that's what I told my wife after leaving the store. "You can always bust it open and get the silver quarters out" and she said who would actually do that. Me: shrug (I didn't think about silver plating )

I am a regular eBayer-mostly seller. All the numbers you gave in your reply is about what I was thinking, but I wanted a pro-answer

I'm not looking to make a killing on it. Just wanted to get a fair price. I think I'll do $50obo and see what happens. Thanks my friend.
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  09:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DAL1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Can you tell if they are plated from better pics?
Pillar of the Community
United States
1136 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  10:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If they are P mintmarks, they can only be plated. They didn't make Silver Quarters at Philadelphia, only San Francisco.

So they aren't silver and are likely silver plated, or possibly chromed. and definitely won't be worth the effort to cut them out of there.

You can list it as a BIN and best offer and see how it goes, good to hear you know the ebay game. Don't bury yourself in fees trying to hold out for top dollar, I'm not sure on how much interest there is for this item, and something like this usually would sell easier around christmas as a gift for a collector's desk, than at other times of the year.

I looked at HCC rare coins in Toledo, their website is empty buy they have an ebay store, nothing like this is listed on their store.

I don't know what you paid for it but I'd think by looking at sold items on ebay of "coins in lucite cube", $20-$30 seems where they can actually sell. if they were real 90% silver versions, I'd say you could get more, but it isn't. Hopefully from Goodwill you got it for a couple bucks, maybe a $5. LOL.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  11:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add EDM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It looks well made. It's kinda neat.
Learn More...
United States
90183 Posts
United States
6 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  5:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DAL1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for everyone's greetings and help! The info I received from you guys definitely helped. Thank you
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  7:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hey DAL! Welcome to the community. Two things. 1. No silver as some other people have mentioned. 2. I have had a similar product and it was difficult to sell. Best of luck!
  Previous TopicReplies: 12 / Views: 820Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05