Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Has Anyone Seen These? 1969 Denver Half Dollar Errors

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 258Next Topic  

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  9:14 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add GoodSir to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Second time posting since first one was locked before I could get pictures since I couldn't find a magnifying glass.

"On the face of the coin there's a thicker rim at the top than at the bottom, a noticeable raise in the ridge on top than at the bottom, and different areas are thicker than others such as the word God, the ending 9 in the date, the letters I and B, and other areas seem to have it to a lesser extent such as the words We Trust, however not the word In as it seems to be near the beginning point of a warp that occurs on the face end of the coin only. On the other side the top rim is thicker than the bottom rim and the Eagle is raised closer to the rim height than the lettering or stars." My previous explanation.

Take note of the light reflection because that's the only way I could really capture what I think is a warp on the face of the coin.

If these pictures aren't good enough to show something just let me know and I'll try to get another picture with the part in question being the main focus.
Edited by GoodSir
05/21/2020 9:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44320 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  9:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The 1965-1970-D Quarters were 40%. So that is not an error, that is the way they were then.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  9:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoodSir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm aware of the silver content, I was just detailing the coin in reference in my title. My apologies for having a bad title.

*Updated Title
Edited by GoodSir
05/21/2020 9:28 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
26530 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  9:31 pm  Show Profile   Check Errers and Varietys's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at your coin multiple times and I unfortunately can't/don't see what you're seeing. It might be Pareidolia.
More information about Die Deterioration? http://goccf.com/t/317950
Retired U.S. Mint Coin Die Set information. http://goccf.com/t/302961
Machine Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/332421
Die states progression on coins. Scroll down, so you can see the different die state progressions. http://goccf.com/t/325638
Die Deterioration Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/336470
Split Plate Doubling Tutorial. http://goccf.com/t/357614
Valued Member
United States
169 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  9:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see what you are talking about. However, looks like within normal die strike to me.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1990 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  9:37 pm  Show Profile   Check Yokozuna's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Yokozuna to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the CCF!

It may be a slight MisAligned Die or MAD causing the rims to look thick/thin. The difference in depth of the Date, Mottos and Devices could be from die polishing or even a very slightly grease filled die strike. Die polishing can also effect the dished look of the fields.
"Shine, shine, a Roosevelt dime
All the way to Baltimore and running out of time" - Tom Waits 'Clap Hands'

United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  9:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoodSir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps. I posted here though since I've shown it to some other people and they see what I'm describing but don't know anything about errors.
I was having problems getting good pictures though so I'm not sure what's really going on with this coin right now.
I'm trying to find something to magnify the coin, I'll upload magnified pictures when I can.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoodSir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It's visibly misaligned from my view, but that's all I'm certain of. Both sides when facing directly up are farther from the top than the bottom, to the point the first 9 in 1969 is almost the bottom of the coin, as well as the letters 'AR' in Dollar. Unfortunately I can't get a good definitive picture of this until I find my magnifying glass.
Edited by GoodSir
05/21/2020 10:29 pm
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  10:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoodSir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Best I could do using camera zoom since that's really unsteady.
United States
7 Posts
 Posted 05/21/2020  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add GoodSir to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your help, especially @Yokozuna.
It appears to me that I have a slightly grease filled strike, causing the "raised" numbers, letters, and words. However, in terms of my die error, I went to go get another half Dollar I could use to compare this to, so I could tell if there was a slight cupping or if it was just the design of the coin, however when I did all I could find was another one with its own die error, and the similarity of the two prevents me from telling if my coin has slight cupping or not. I don't think it has cupping though, just my perception of how they strike the top of Kennedy's hair made me think that. I'm just not going to rule that out.
Once again, thanks everyone, I now have ideas on what terms to search for looking into different errors. Hope you all have a good time, see you in a bit.
Learn More...
United States
86110 Posts
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 258Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05