Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Please Help Me Identify This Old Silver China Coin From Estate Sale -Thanks

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 501Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
112 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  9:00 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Mikeyworms to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this from estate sale for $1 , found out its silver 26.5 grams and its in MS/Uncirculated condition. I see similar coins on ebay but Cannot read date/year/markings or if its any special anniversary coin. I see them $10 to $1000. Please let me know if I have a gem and its grade/value or is it a Dud--Kindest Regards Mike

Valued Member
United States
333 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  9:29 pm  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a "Fat Man" dollar, described at

https://www.PCGS.com/news/the-fatma...ar-challenge

The weight is correct, and it sounds like a relatively common coin in the more common of its 46 varieties, so I would assume it is genuine. There have been counterfeits of this coin, so I would use some caution.

Listed in Krause as Y#329. Yours is dated year 8 (1919). Sorry I can't help with identifying the variety. It is in high grade with some minor rim dings on the reverse, so I would guess perhaps a lower grade of uncirculated (MS-60?) but this is just a guess.
Edited by Seeker55
05/22/2020 9:38 pm
Pillar of the Community
Australia
3204 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gxseries to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't believe it's genuine. This is a heavily counterfeited coin
My partial coin collection http://www.omnicoin.com/collection/gxseries

My numismatics articles and collection: http://www.gxseries.com/numis/numis_index.htm Regularly updated at least once a month.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8091 Posts
 Posted 05/22/2020  11:14 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reverse in particular looks off. It has the dull look that is often seen on Chinese counterfeits.
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
3174 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  2:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add mkman123 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is one of the most counterfeited coins out there. The Chinese are making fakes using actual silver too. I would not trust any raw
Pillar of the Community
United States
894 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  6:28 pm  Show Profile   Check ksammut's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ksammut to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If it is fake, but still silver, not bad for a buck. At least it would have some silver value (assuming it is silver, I'm not entirely sure)
Young Numismatist - You are welcome to visit my eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/numismaticswithkenny - over 1500 numismatic listings!

2019 ANA Young Numismatist of the Year

ANA Life Member and District Representative

Twitter - @numismatist2001

Instagram numismatistkenny
Pillar of the Community
Austria
543 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  10:22 am  Show Profile   Check coinworldtv's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add coinworldtv to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Fake! 100%
Pillar of the Community
Australia
674 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  8:32 pm  Show Profile   Check ryurazu's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ryurazu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the is one of the most heavily counterfeited coin, putting that aside I would say I concern about the picture of the coin and do also believe its fake, however like you for $1 id probably pick it up.
Valued Member
Canada
70 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add gg_cu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks fake, the details are relatively sharp but the denticles are horrible, which is a common issue with modern fakes.
Valued Member
Australia
82 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  9:59 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This may be off track but from the few Chinese related coins I've identified I would not expect the year symbol to be located second from the left. Isn't it usually at the end? If not, what does the last character after the year symbol (reading counter-clockwise) indicate?
Valued Member
381 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  07:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Word for word counter clockwise it reads: " China People's Republic 8th Year Made "
So the last character pronounced "Zao" is make, made or minted. There's no past tense for Chinese characters.
Edited by Numister
06/03/2020 10:14 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 501Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05