Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

My First Vandal Coin - King Hilderic

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 295Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community

United States
666 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  10:07 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My first Vandal coin and am super excited. I improvised on the attribution, as I found only one similar example. Any comments or additional information about the coin would be great.

King Hilderic Vandal Kingdom (523-530) AE3 14mm 1.1g, HILD - REX Pearl-diademed, draped, and cuirassed bust facing right. Reverse: Cross surrounded by wreath.

Short History - very short:

The Vandals were a Germanic tribe that migrated to Roman Hispania in 409. On their travels, they made sure to do enough pillaging and looting to have their name synonymous with the word that signifies the wanton destruction of property - "vandalism". In any case, after sensing a weakened Roman Empire, they eventually made their way to the North Africa. Indeed, Rome was in no position to dislodge the fierce tribe and granted them the African territory they were squatting on. Unsurprisingly, they wanted more and eventually took Roman Carthage in 439 A.D. and making it the capital of the Kingdom of the Vandals, They stubbornly become a "thorn" in Rome's side for the better part of a century before Justinian I along with one of Rome's greatest generals Belisarius regained the lost territory in 534 A.D.
Learn More...
United States
22976 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  10:25 am  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting coin, I would love to find one of these. Congrats
Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  10:32 am  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, but I am sure that is a modern fake. Lots of stuff like this coming out of Bulgeria.
Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  10:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Sorry, but I am sure that is a modern fake.
I wouldn't doubt it. I don't know much about the coinage and what the "style" should be. Most fakes I see are in silver. However, The flip read "Hideric" so I didn't expect much. In any case here is the pic of the edge, which looks convincing anyway.

Valued Member
United States
387 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  11:12 am  Show Profile   Check Victor's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Victor to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
the edge offers no clues as to it being a fake as it is not cast. It is struck from clumsily made dies. Below is a similar fake type from Eraric, though no coins are known from him.

Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 05/23/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Victor, thanks for your help. I'm going to keep it as I hardly paid anything for the coin. I probably wouldn't get my hands on an authentic one anyway. As a rule, I never buy anything from Eastern Europe. In fact, I try to just deal with US based dealers/sellers. I mainly collect Roman Imperial Coinage and have gotten fairly good at spotting fakes in that area, but I'm still learning. Anything outside of RIC I'm a fish out of water.
Edited by travelcoin
05/23/2020 3:33 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5868 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  11:33 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Finn235 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Good thing you didn't pay too much for it! There has been a surge of these modern fakes of extremely rare late/post Roman AE coinage, and sadly they aren't just being peddled by known fake sellers on eBay - Emporium Hamburg has been selling them by the score for at least a couple years now, and sadly they are being consigned to otherwise trustworthy auction houses that trust the Hamburg provenance.

There was a thread on here a little while ago where I expressed concern about a similarly rare coin (Zenonis) and sure enough, all of the details washed right off the coin with an acetone bath.

Some of these are pretty convincing, but any late bronze coin with extremely fine engraving is probably fake.

For example, this is the only one I have that I am reasonably certain is actually Hilderic
My Collections:
Roman Imperial
http://goccf.com/t/348979
Japan Type set Tokugawa + Modern
http://goccf.com/t/348999
Indo Sassanian
http://goccf.com/t/322087
Pillar of the Community
United States
666 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  7:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add travelcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well this is why is why we post. Everyone should share and learn. Like I said earlier, I've see a lot of obvious fakes in silver so this is new to me.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3146 Posts
 Posted Yesterday  07:43 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you tried the acetone bath ?
Our recent 'impostor' disintegrated in the bath
While the style of these fakes are somewhat lacking the appearance of the fabric is certainly convincing !
The "metal" looks ancient
But is it only an epoxy resin ?

I would be curious to see how it reacts to various solvents
Of course this may destroy it
But we seem to have a serious problem here
With these finding their way into reputable dealers inventory
How long before we cannot trust anything we don't find in situ ?

This worries me greatly
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 295Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05