Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

About Good Condition Value Chart Or Rule Of Thumb?

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 860Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
United States
1751 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  12:27 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Alpha2814 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
For people who collect TPG lowballs, low grades command a premium. But it has to be really low.
Working on: Indian quarter eagles, Chinese pandas, and San Francisco tokens; upgrading my Peace dollar and US Type sets

"Fear is the enemy of will. Will is what makes you take action; fear is what stops you, and makes you weak."
-- Sinestro to (my avatar) Hal Jordan, "Green Lantern" (2011)
Bedrock of the Community
United States
19348 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  2:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add just carl to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
As to why below G is not usually listed is simply most collectors are not interested in coins of that grade.
just carl
Pillar of the Community
United States
1069 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  2:49 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You should also keep in mind those price guides are usually for graded coins. Any coin that has not been graded is going to go for significantly less.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3566 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  11:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add smokeriderdon to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The bottom end is P (poor) 01, FA (Fair) 2 and AG 3. To answer the question, it really is entirely on you. Depending on the series, price guides may or may not have AG listed. If you figure half the value of a G4 then consider the coin and how it looks to you, then you decide. I have seen some absolutely lovely AG coins. Hell, my 1877 is an AG3 and I feel it is extremely nice for the grade. I paid almost what a G-4 is valued at. To me, it was absolutely worth what I paid.

It depends on you and the coin.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1480 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  12:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Andrew99 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
About half of good is a decent estimate. I was once presented with a raw Wreath cent in P-01, if that, really basal state at $375. Now a Wreath cent is $2,400 in Good and does have a bid of $1,300 in AG-03, so I figured About Fa-02 is $650 and P-01 would be about $325, so I passed, but a well known dealer bought it for $375 and is asking $450 for it. So, its a rule of thumb, but the ease of getting the coin in a higher grade and the popularity of the series also weighs of the multiplier. If I had used the AG/G ratio as the multiplier (0.54) instead of 0.50, I would have gotten $380 and probably would have bought it.
The collection is in your mind. Dispose of your albums and free your mind from the tyranny of holes.
Edited by Andrew99
06/01/2020 12:49 pm
Valued Member
United States
201 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  2:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Misterpostman to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I also think half of the G4 price for AG3 is a good rule of thumb. But only for coins with decent eye appeal.
Not quite a full rim is ok , missing some details is ok, but I want a full date, no major corrosion or scratches, or more wear than an AG3 should have
United States
40 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  4:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Larry Gosnell to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Since there is a G1 Poor, G2 Fair, G3 AG and a G4 Good, I would just divide the G4 value by 4 and then know about what each grade would be valued at.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 860Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05