Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Coin Grading Website?

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,283Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  8:53 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add CoinWorldCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am thinking of creating a resource for myself and everyone else, a complete photo scale guide for each coin in each grade like PCGS but for Canadian Coins. I know about http://www.saskatooncoinclub.ca/ but it's missing most of the newer dates and photos and hasn't been updated for a while.

There were lots of sites previously which had good resources and photos but they are all down.

Do you guys think, this is a good idea? I would only use officially graded examples by an accredited agency. I would obviously take permission for the photos that I use and credit each photo.

I think this could help lots of people because it took me a long time to learn, and having a photo reference can really help sometimes.

Please let me know your thoughts below.
Edited by CoinWorldCanada
05/24/2020 9:10 pm
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17077 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  10:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
PCGS Photograde is by far the best of the sites that I have found.
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 05/24/2020  10:50 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinWorldCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I want to make a version like it for Canadian Coins, there is no PCGS Photograde for Canadian coins.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7987 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:22 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you own a copy of Standard Grading Guide For Canadian & Colonial Decimal Coins?
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinWorldCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I have a copy.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
7987 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:55 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So you know that the major US TPGs threw that book out the window and follow their own standards.
How do plan to reconcile this situation?
Traditional Canadian Collectors adhere to the Guide.
TPGs rarely do any more.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  01:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinWorldCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
In that case, I will be speaking to lots of experienced graders & collectors before the information is published. I am aware that all grading companies may use slightly different criteria. The information will be a reference only and it's not meant to make you a grading expert but have the knowledge and understand the differences. I will be using the standards set out by the guide.
Valued Member
Canada
236 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Silver101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@CoinWorldCanada - I think this is a terrific idea. I've read reams of debates on the relative merits of the assorted TPGs and assorted views on objective grading features vs eye appeal etc...etc... My understanding is that there's a sort of hazy consensus about what matters but that there's a sizeable minority of informed people who disagree with that consensus. My own practise is to harvest as much information from as many possible sources as I can, and apply it over top of my own interests. It's the only way. If another credible source opens us I will use it.

Agreed completely that PGCS is #1 - except when it's not. I also agree that Andre Langlois's book is outstanding - except for the gaps. I also agree that ICCS is flawed, except that sometimes they're better than the others. Basically everyone has a point and the diversity of views is much of what's so interesting about all of this .
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3008 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  07:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add okiecoiner to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Do you mean like this old site that's still available to keep for reference? I have instant access to this site from my computer (for free), but I don't seem to be able to make a good link .. the last part of the link doesn't transfer:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140220174534/http://www.coinoisseur.com/GradiNGCoins.html

I don't know why the whole link doesn't transfer but, when you get to the wayback machine page, enter the whole link above cut and paste)into the search and you'll get the original "Coinoisseur" grading pages for Canadian coins. His site was the best for many many years and was before "grading creap".

Edited by okiecoiner
05/25/2020 12:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Canada
517 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tamarin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like the old days where both grade and price were part of the negotiation with raw coins. Two informed people discussing a coin amicably and reaching an agreement. I still use TPG's but dislike them. I use them only for higher value pieces where potential buyers might balk without a TPG in place. We all have our biases and we've all seen instances of grading abuse by all TPG's. As the hobby continues to contract in popularity maybe the great old days will return where raw was king and negotiation stimulating.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
2291 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  09:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add doubleeagle59 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I admire your enthusiasm, but I have to be blunt - don't waste your time.

Trying to figure out how a TPG grades their coins is not an easy task to take on.

Why go to all that trouble when there are ample examples of PCGS and ICCS photo grades?

Just search Heritage Auctions or Ebay for any series, any grade and any company and there are hundreds of photo grades to learn from.

Pillar of the Community
United States
720 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add chipjones to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Have you looked at coinsandcanada grading? They have pictures of all grades
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  12:46 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinWorldCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@Silver101 - Thank you for your support.

@okiecoiner I - am trying to make a website that provides High-Quality Photos like the PCGS Photo Grade and has all the years and all the coins.

@doubleeagle59 - I have spent lots of time in the past doing this; searching online for photos here and there when I was new to coin collecting. I think the site that I am trying to create would have been very educational if this resource existed when I was learning, it could have really helped me. I wish to do the same for someone else.

@chipjones - They do not have High-Quality Photos and lack most of the grades for certain coins, especially newer ones.

I am sure lots of people use Photograde by PCGS daily, like that I want to benefit the numismatics in Canada.
05/25/2020 12:52 pm
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  1:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unless you have money and time to blow I wouldn't bother. The scope of the project is rather large and will take support from professionals who require pay. There are many other sites that have this information.
Canada
23 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  3:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinWorldCanada to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@JGpenny - I won't be spending money to run the website because I own a datacenter. I have spent hours already in the past to put together much needed resources, all I need to do now is put it online and gather images. I don't mind paying professionals if this can benefit the community. I believe the numismatics community will grow in Canada if there is more resources readily available for people to learn and use. I own most coins that are professionally graded, I own the equipment to take nice photos, I have a Nikon D850 with a nice lens; AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED Lens.
05/25/2020 3:11 pm
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
 Posted 05/25/2020  5:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JGpenny to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If you are setup for it that's amazing! Do you have any good domains names?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 1,283Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 1 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05