Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1871 5 Pesetas Coin On Ebay, Fake?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 377Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  4:23 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
https://www.ebay.com/itm/124200812603

^ That coin seems rather suspect to me... Anyone else seem fake 1871 5 pesetas coins? Should such counterfeits be reported to eBay?
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7032 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  4:33 pm  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

I don't like the weak reverse lettering and there seem to be lots of small digs or raised spots that may indicate a casting.

Spanish silver 5-peseta coins are extensively forged. You see lots of fakes in outdoor markets - I saw some in Barcelona last fall.
Valued Member
Poland
77 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  12:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add norantyki to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely fake - details, strike, flan all wrong. Probably a zink-copper-trace silver alloy. Agreed with above, see them at junk markets here in Poland.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4979 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  9:55 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree the coin is definitely not genuine.

The dies/molds are an interesting mix of methods used in preparation.

Worth study.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Valued Member
376 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  11:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar of the Community
United States
4979 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  12:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I guess I fall in the later category.

I have been collecting counterfeit 8 reales since 1960. Back then I could get them for about $1 each or less. My first one cost be 75 cents.

Today the prices are much higher. I now pay $1 for Numismatic Forgeries and $25 up for actual counterfeits.
My book on Counterfeit Portrait 8Rs is available from Amazon http://ccfgo.com/TheUnrealReales or from me directly if you want it signed.
Pillar of the Community
United States
4979 Posts
 Posted 06/02/2020  8:43 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add swamperbob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The auction just ended for $31.00 after 7 bids from 3 bidders. The attention to this apparently non-circulating forgery was surprising as was the price.

I say apparently, because in the photos it appears to be a modern crude reproduction (flat struck on a press) not one of the well known silver counterfeits of the period. This series is not my specialty so I might be incorrect about the age. I did note that none of the "normal" tells used to identify the silver counterfeits are present.
Valued Member
United States
52 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  11:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add MasterKromm to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@ Everyone who replied, Thanks for stopping by. I am somewhat surprised to see the poorly made counterfeit sold for so much... Especially from such a new/low feedback seller too.

I've recently started collecting counterfeits, but I try not to spend too much on them. As part of a larger purchase of genuine coins, I recently acquired the following counterfeits: 1 8 reales Mexico pillar, 1 8 reales Central American Republic, 1 Guatemala 8 reales cob. Though they are obvious fakes, they are still quite interesting.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 377Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05