Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Mint Damaged Coins/Medals

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 406Next Topic  

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  5:08 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add kenrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am very new to collecting and I am learning a lot.

However, I have recently ordered a couple of the presidential silver medals from the US Mint (Washington and Adams). The Washington one came in with a couple of spots on his face that were shiny, but the rest of his face is a matte finish. The John Adams came in with what looks like ink marks on the reverse.

Since these are in sealed containers I was surprised that they had any marks or imperfections. I kept the Washington one, but the John Adams one I am returning.

Is this rare from the Mint or is it not uncommon to get coins and medals with marks on them?

I also ordered a proof coin from the Perth Mint and I really like how they packaged it (The display case with magnets to hold the plexiglass top) and the coin arrived in great condition (at least as far as I can tell with my trusty magnifying glass :) )

Thanks!
Ken
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34203 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  7:38 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to CCF. We will need photos to help you.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for responding. The mark that I am concerned about is the top right near the pipe.

Here is the image of the ink mark or whatever it is:
Edited by kenrus
05/26/2020 8:04 pm
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/26/2020  8:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is the entire reverse of the medal
*Edit - I think this image looks bad because I used the zoom.

Edited by kenrus
05/26/2020 8:11 pm
Learn More...
United States
87581 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  10:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
to the Community!

Your post was moved to the appropriate forum for the proper attention.
Pillar of the Community
United States
1510 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  12:04 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bret to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, that's poor quality. Based on what I've seen over the years, the US Mint doesn't have quality control. If you receive something that's poor quality, call them and they'll send a prepaid shipping label to return it. You can then try again. The Perth Mint and The Royal Mint seem to actually have people inspect the coins. As a result, their quality appears to be significantly better.
United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  2:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Bret

I already got a return shipping label and plan to send it back, but its good to get confirmation.

United States
5 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  8:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kenrus to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I dropped it off at UPS and marked the return form that I wanted a replacement.

We will see what that one looks like.

Still waiting on the Beloved Maple from the Canadian Mint. That will be the first coin I have purchased from them.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 406Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.61 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05