Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1964 Penny SMS? Lookalike?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 440Next Topic  
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/27/2020  11:24 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bamagama to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello! Apologies in advance for all the pictures & poor lighting/color changes! All the photos towards the end are of the same penny, I just don't have a proper light setup so some colors and angles look off/warped/more 'shiny/neon' than in real life!

I am quite curious as to what I have found! A 1964 1 cent. I have looked over some images of other certified SMS pennies for comparison. I don't want to get *too* excited, I am still very much a novice at this and it is most likely just a pretty penny

Here are a few Heritage Auction images of genuine SMS 1 cents:

Now here is a photo of the penny in question on the left, snapped next to a SMS penny photo on the right for close comparison:

And here is the penny! Any sort of advice or info is greatly appreciated!

Edited by bamagama
05/27/2020 11:26 pm
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34854 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  06:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, yours is not a SMS mainly going by the rim. The SMS rim is sharp and somewhat squared and yours is not.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Pillar of the Community
United States
1071 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  06:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Big-Kingdom to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
An SMS coin from my knowledge is pretty much a proof strike with dies that weren't prepared for proof coins. As a result though you will have a coin with sharp details and we'll defined rim, and a "squared" edge.

I believe you have a well struck 1964 cent but not a SMS cent. If you look at your pictures of the SMS cent on here you'll notice the edge of the coin is really straight and flat like a well made car rim. What I see on yours is its not sharp and straight enough.

Look at any proof cents edge. This is what the SMS cents all have too. The press was set at a much higher tonnage for the SMS strikes, that of the proof strikes. The edge will be true and squared like a proof cent is and still this isn't a guarantee it will be a 64SMS, just if it doest have that it can't be one.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  5:00 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bamagama to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Ah! The rim! I see what you both mean. Thank you very much for the input, that's something I still have to 'train my eye' to.
United States
26 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  5:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bamagama to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I am curious though, it looks like the bottom portion of the front of the penny looks thicker, like the penny was an off-center strike perhaps?
Also some photos of the back, since it looks like the rim has a slight indent on part of it & I am quite curious if any of that is pertinent or just some machine erroring!

United States
26 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  03:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bamagama to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
bump
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34854 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  04:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not an off center strike,I recommend using the Glossary on the left side of page for newbies to learn quicker.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
United States
16798 Posts
 Posted 07/07/2020  10:57 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Conder101 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The one interesting thing I am seeing in these images is that the polishing line markers do seem to match up (difficult to tell for sure because the coins are not shot under the same lighting or angles and are not displayed in the same orientations. Makes it difficult to tell if the polish lines match exactly)

The reverse of the SMS cent does appear to have been used for business strikes, so it is possible the obv was as well. (I don't see the markers for the reverse on your coin, but the images aren't great.) I think you may have a business strike made with the SMS obv and a different rev.
Gary Schmidt
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 440Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.56 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05