Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Possible Ebay Seller Scam - Your Opinion Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 492Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  12:57 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Situation -

Found a Seller selling a product I happen to like that had good prices. Bought the product and paid with an eBay gift card.

Product arrives a few days later. The shipping box (shipped from the product manufacturer, not the Seller) actually contained additional product that was not ordered. (Kinda of a red flag in my opinion and picked my curiosity)

I think all is well and good until I look at the packing slip. The packing slip shipping address was my address. The billing address was with my name but the street, town, state and zip were not mine. The packing slip shows billing to my name but to a credit card number that is not mine.

The kicker? The actual packing slip showed that the product I paid 30$ for (with an eBay gift card) actually cost the Seller (or somebody!) almost 60$!

I called eBay, explained the situation to them and they told me "as long as you got the product you ordered don't worry about it".

Really!?

Your thoughts please. Thanks!
Valued Member
United States
336 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  01:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add howell1018 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You did the honest thing. Sleep well tonight.
Valued Member
United States
308 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  10:23 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fplagge to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Are we talking about anything even remotely related to numismatics?? Just wondering.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  11:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are we talking about anything even remotely related to numismatics?? Just wondering

No... just a general situation that could happen to anyone, buying anything on eBay (or using any e-commerce website).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3419 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  1:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BStrauss3 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There was a story - maybe in wired - about 8 months back on this kind of reseller fraud with coffee pods.
-----Burton
46 year / Life ANA member (joined 12/1/1973)
Life member: Numismatics International, CONECA
Member: TNA, FtWCC, NETCC
Owned by four cats and a wife of 35 years (joined 1983)
Pillar of the Community
United States
7268 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  2:04 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe someone else got your package. Sounds like a mix up, but you did the right thing.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  2:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Blind Squirrel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
See it all the time in my line of work. Watch your credit card bill. Might also want to check your big 3 credit rating companies if you don't have your credit/ID locked. Might look at USA.GOV/Identity-theft web site. It tells about several of the different kinds of frauds and scams, as well as how to report.

And, it could simply be that someone put the data in wrong.
Learn More...
United States
87820 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  3:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The shipping box (shipped from the product manufacturer, not the Seller)
Drop shipping. We do it all the time. It is how we went from having three warehouses to one.
Forum Dad
Learn More...
United States
20591 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  3:13 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, nothing shady about drop shipping at all.
Learn More...
United States
87820 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  3:26 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
One of our vendors even puts our logo and return address on the boxes and paperwork. You would never know it came from them unless you tracked it.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  3:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I see and understand the concept of drop shipping and the advantages of doing it.

Nothing strange has shown up on my credit reports.

I just think it looks kinda "funny" when the packing slip that came with the product shows the eBay Seller paid the manufacturer/shipper 2x what I paid him for it. The billing address on the packing slip was in my name, but not my address. The credit card used was not mine. (I paid the eBay Seller with an eBay gift card). When I contacted the Seller he said it was an employee of his "mistake". When I contacted eBay they said "....don't worry about it!" (Pretty much eBay's CS response was ....'you got what you ordered, please just go away'.)

It all just looks kinda fishy and makes no sense at all.
Learn More...
United States
87820 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  4:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wonder if the CC number belonged to the seller. They bought two for two different orders, but somehow it was combined into one (maybe caused by an error by either party).
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
5276 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  4:24 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add westernsky to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Jbuck...

The Seller shows to be registered in Canada. The product I bought shows to be in Phoenix. The product I bought was actually shipped from LA.

I just went in and looked at the Sellers recent feedback and WHOA nelly!

He's had 122 negs piled on him in the last 30 days .... all for shipping issues, delivery issues and the like. A lot of references to "fake" tracking numbers and stuff being delivered to different addresses within the buyers ZipCode. He's had a few Positives along with a few neutrals, so I don't think he's incapacitated.

He no longer has anything listed. His sales history shows all his listings were ended earlier this week. I'm guessing eBay put the brakes on him till they can figure out what's going on.
Learn More...
United States
87820 Posts
 Posted 05/28/2020  5:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jbuck to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Whoa Nelly indeed!

Seems you were not wrong to feel suspect.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 492Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.62 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05