Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1955-S Roosevelt Dime. Toned. Grade Worthy?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 296Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  05:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Was going to leave this one alone, but figured I would ask. This is my very nicely toned (iridescent) dime. I named it:

"Pope FDR I" (I name all my coins).

Problem is the Bust. Though I can't really see it In-Hand, Camera brings out those lines on cheek area. Microscope (see picture) and you can barely see them. Again, in hand...nothing. Looks normal. I think its the toning that is scratched, or something dragged along making those lines in the toning. Not the metal. That is what Scope picture seems to validate. Barely...photo real weak. Sorry.

LOOK AT LAST PICTURE...I did not photoshop. Lol. Just changed the angle a hair and the lighting a bit. Go figure.

So wondering if anyone thinks a shot at grading worth it? It really looks nice in hand. Pops. Low mintage. But not very much value unless MS-68 (unless FB...it's not). Wait...I just woke. Drifted off. Ok. I'm back. Don't see 68 happening. Lol But ya never know. Eye appeal? OK...I tried enough. Lol It's late. Probably should have stopped at last post

A nice coin to look at though (In hand though. Pictures suck ). Add to the cool pile. Meh. Here's some pics:

Edited by BuyGuns
05/29/2020 05:10 am
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3974 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  08:04 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The toning on it is exceptional but the obverse is bit scraped up. I'd say MS-62 with a star for great eye appeal.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13575 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  08:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those scratches on bust are very distracting . If you are positive that it's just something on the toning and not the metal then I might give it a 2 or 3 second dip . Just me as I really don't like that kind of dark toning . If you go that way make sure you rinse the coin in distilled water immediately after the dip .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48691 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  08:47 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The scratches effectively detail this coin.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
297 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  2:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add BuyGuns to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I agree folks. Just wanted to ask. I like this coin. Just keep as is. Still a bit strange in last picture how at a different angle they are gone. Must be like one of those kids 3D cards. At one angle you see something totally different, and tilt it, another image shows up. Same effect here I think. But graders will DOA this one before they get it out of the Flip. . lol

And Dipping is not an option for me. Don't have any chemicals, and do not know what to get, nor do I want to. I read all the debates over dipping, and in the right instance sounds promising. If you know what your doing. Just leave it as is. But all comments appreciated. Hey....you did like my 1917 Merc. lol.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8825 Posts
 Posted 06/01/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't touch it. MS62 probably would not grade straight
Valued Member
United States
219 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  5:08 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Fury to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I looked up the value of a 1955 S dime, and it said it was only worth $13 in mint condition according to cointrackers.com In conclusion, it's not worth grading. But, still a VERY cool coin. Happy collecting!
Pillar of the Community
United States
2799 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  03:20 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with T-BOP on this one. I can't make it past the scratches, and personally, I find the toning a bit too dark for my tastes.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20786 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  12:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unc details, scratched.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 296Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05