Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1990 LMC Interesting Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 333Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  7:09 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add DeadElvis to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Before I get to the pics, I did look at Doubledie.com and saw nothing related. My gut feeling is that this is just strategically placed PMD. I know the lettering is not doubled - my only concern is the bay the statue sits in. I'll shut up and see if you guys see what I see. Thanks in advance!

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  7:15 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A die crack, split plate doubling and just some type of stain from a unkown environmental damage factor.
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  7:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeadElvis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Errers. So that is not column doubling in the statue bay, correct?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
26893 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  7:23 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Errers and Varietys to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44938 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  9:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It might be a die scratch. But I can't tell from the images provided if it extends above or below the building. But a die scratch would last longer on a confined area, than on open fields areas.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
99 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  10:37 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jpgrajek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is a variety with a doubled roof in the statue bay but it is on a 2004 or 2005. The pictures look like a DD column.

Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  11:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeadElvis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't care much one way or the other, but that line is super straight. If it's not listed I have no premium but I guess I'll hang on to it. Costs me 1 cent to keep it. I seriously doubt it qualifies as an error or it would have been discovered by now. Something happened in that bay! Thanks all for your comments!

Oh and I do appreciate the pro's weighing in. Coop, Errers, and jpgrajek. I've learned so much reading other threads from you guys.

Edited by DeadElvis
05/29/2020 11:35 pm
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  11:47 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeadElvis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is a variety with a doubled roof in the statue bay but it is on a 2004 or 2005. The pictures look like a DD column.

I thought so too. seems a bit too perfect to be zinc bubbles or such. Oh well, off to the next coin! :)
Valued Member
United States
122 Posts
 Posted 05/29/2020  11:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DeadElvis to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It might be a die scratch. But I can't tell from the images provided if it extends above or below the building. But a die scratch would last longer on a confined area, than on open fields areas.

I'm learning so forgive me. Would a die scratch or crack align so perfectly with the column? I'm really ready to toss this cent into the cull bin but come on - that line lines up perfectly.

I am asking to be educated, not to be impudent. Even if this were an error it would be worth a buck or so? I don't care about that.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
34077 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  04:46 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's not part of the intended 3-D effect?
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
44938 Posts
 Posted 05/30/2020  07:58 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add coop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Well keep in mind that on the die, the raised areas are incuse into the die. The fields are the outside of the die. The fields also include the bays raised above the incuse columns. So if sandpaper or a wire brush were used on the bay areas (which are raised on the die) the columns could create a straighter line. Most of the time it doesn't. But I could see how it could happen that way.
On the examples of extra column lines, more than a single line is seen and they are usually on the central parts of the bays put there by the hub. Not a polishing issue. To me the line looks very thin, like a die scratch. Note the false columns on the two surrounding bays. These are much wider than a scratch.
Richard S. Cooper
Some have asked about my images I use and I'm glad to say, you can now you can see the DVD in sections on youtube:
1. Intro, older coins, toned coins 2. Doubled dies 3. Die events, One of a kind errors 4. So called errors, Coin information 5. Coin information Types and Varieties, Overlays
Jefferson nickel doubled dies Wexler/Rebar complete listings

trail dies:http://www.traildies.com/
Edited by coop
05/30/2020 08:04 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
1414 Posts
 Posted 05/31/2020  07:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Petespockets55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm seeing the same thing as the OP. I hate to be contrary guys but this is one I would definitely send in to Wexler. There are some nice doubled columns that have been found in the early 90's.
(It may not be a WDDR but someone has to take a chance and be the first to submit a discovery piece.)

EDIT: In the OP's second image, there also seems to be a raised faint line above the right planter as well.
Edited by Petespockets55
05/31/2020 07:39 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 333Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.64 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05