Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indien Or Arabic Coin? Same Obverse As Reverse

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 310Next Topic  
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
728 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  02:00 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello Collectors,

I have this silver coin in my collection which I am not able to identify. It appears that both sides are exactly the same. As far as I know this is not usual. It looks like it is dated 1444?

Does anyone happens to know this coin

Valued Member
376 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  07:37 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Numister to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
My reading of the date is 1333 but I might be wrong.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3491 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  07:43 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
If the date were 1333 it would correspond to roughly 1915 in the Gregorian calendar, which may be a better guess.
Pillar of the Community
Russian Federation
3122 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  08:36 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add january1may to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure if the date is 1333 or 1334, and suspect it's not even a coin. Looks neat, though.
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  09:47 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, date shown is 1333. There is also a number 4 in the top left, which could represent a regnal year. I don't think this is Indian, and it might even be a token rather than a coin. Weight and diameter?
Edited by Seeker55
06/03/2020 09:50 am
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
728 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  09:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The diameter is almost 16mm . For the weight I have to wait
Valued Member
United States
327 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  10:02 am  Show Profile   Check Seeker55's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Seeker55 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hopefully someone who reads Arabic will come along and translate it for you.
Valued Member
United States
357 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  12:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add willieboyd2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that this is a modern token of some kind and not a coin.

I make out the top letters as A,K,B,N but that might not mean anything.

https://www.brianrxm.com
The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
Coins in Movies and on Television
The 1949 San Francisco Mexico Peso Restrikes
Learn More...
Australia
13343 Posts
 Posted 06/03/2020  7:31 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Sap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It is from Iran, a "Persian New Year" token. As noted when other examples have been posted on the forum, the Arabic phrase repeated on both sides is "Ya Sahib al Zaman", which translates to "O Owner of Time". It is not just a token to toss around at Persian New Year festivals, it is an invocation or plea for the return of the Mahdi, the lost Twelfth Imam of the Shi'ites, whose status is kind of the Persian equivalent of King Arthur: many Shi'ites of the "Twelver" sect believe that their lost Imam (who, as a child, disappeared into the desert in AD 874), will one day return, impose justice, punish the heretics and restore the Shi'ite Empire to glory.

Unlike the examples in the earlier threads linked to the post above, the OP's token is dated: 1333. This would be in the Iranian "Solar Hijira" calendar, rather than the regular Islamic "Lunar Hijira" calendar, and would convert to AD 1954. Putting a date on a New Year token makes them only useful for that one year; undated tokens can be re-used year after year.
Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise, you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite. - C. S. Lewis
Pillar of the Community
Netherlands
728 Posts
 Posted 06/04/2020  05:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add vince1977 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Very interesting! I have never heard of such tokens before. I did some looking on the web but I can't find an exact match. There is a token from 1334 with a peacock on it, also from Iran. So this token has been used for remembering and honoring this 12th Imam.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 310Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.53 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05