Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1883 S Morgan Dollar.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 425Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  7:25 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Got this for what I'd say was a decent price. What do you all think about the grade?

Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48753 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  7:42 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'll say AU-58 "slider" unc.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3985 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  7:48 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Same as the other coin I'd say AU-55 with some concerns it might have been cleaned.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  8:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll just send them in and hope for the best.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
48753 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  8:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
OP -So how do you grade this, and give us an idea of what you paid?
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  9:07 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I thought the coin would pull 58. It has really good luster and a pl obverse. Hard to see it from the pics. There are very light scratches or "chatter" in the fields and on the devices of the obverse. More so on the left hand side of the coin. None of them have a pattern that would lead me to believe it has been wiped or cleaned. The reverse fields and devices are very clean. This could very well be a cleaned coin but it doesn't look like one to me. Of course I'm no professional either. I paid $400 for it.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9323 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  11:16 pm  Show Profile   Check BH1964's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add BH1964 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Tough date Morgan but please note the obverse fields versus the area around the stars (left side). It appears the coin has been cleaned so I'd go AU Details - Cleaned.

I would value it under $100. $400 is retail price for top tier certified AU58 pieces such as this: http://images.goldbergauctions.com/...=1255&lang=1

This PCGS certified AU50 sold for $80 earlier this year.
https://coins.ha.com/itm/morgan-dol...ption-071515
ANA #R3154474
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
 Posted 06/05/2020  11:25 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ty2020b to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Conservatively saying AU55, but I can see a 58 as well. Reverse is in much better shape, the obverse will definitely hold it back.
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I really do appreciate the insight and opinions. Thanks again. I've only got about a year of collecting under my belt. With that being said about opinions on a raw coin picture, it's strictly graded coins or ones seen in hand for me, from now on. More of a premium but better peace of mind.
Edited by heavymetal
06/06/2020 08:13 am
Pillar of the Community
United States
8854 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:30 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
could be the lighting but the coin looks like it was cleaned/wiped. I think it comes back AU details
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3985 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:34 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a good example of the type of coin that might get a clean grade at a TPG, because it is AU, or might get details. The hallmark of AU coins is they have been "out in the wild" and have been in pockets rubbing up against fabric, handled and traded with all the oil on fingers, etc... That's all good it means the coin has been in circulation. But it can be challenging to asses whether, say, someone wiped the coin with a cloth intentionally or if was just bouncing around in a pocket.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
20829 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:03 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an AU-58 slider that has been dipped.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1415 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  11:11 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I played with obverse the photo a bit, dropping the light and contrast and enhancing color. When I did that, the surface looks OK. I'm not sure this one would be detailed.

There are a lot of bag marks on the obverse, though. There is a heavy contact mark next to the "E" of EPU, a contact trail from the bridge of the nose through the eye to the cheek, and in the hair above the ear. Minor contact marks exist on the neck, as well. I see enough contact marks for a half point eye appeal deduction.

The technical grade could well hold at 58, but I think the eye appeal adjustment drop-grades it to AU-55. That would be a tough result, but somewhat better than detailing it.

There is plenty of original luster on this one. I can see what attracted you to it. Under old time grading standards, this would have easily sold on a bourse floor as a one-look "slider," maybe even as an "SPL slider."

I have to say that I wouldn't send this one in. As a raw AU-58 slider, it's a solid $350+ coin. If it comes back AU-55 or AU Details, it's worth half that or less, despite the slab. This is one time leaving it raw may be money in your pocket.

EDIT: As my wife reminds me all the time, that's my very long-winded way of saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Edited by fortcollins
06/07/2020 11:15 am
Valued Member
United States
276 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  9:12 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add heavymetal to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@fortcollins- Thank you for the more detailed explanation on both of my coins. That helps me look at them in a different way. I'll just put them in capsules and add to the rest of the hoard.
Valued Member
United States
362 Posts
 Posted 06/13/2020  12:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add suipakpaikungfu to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd guess AU55, hopefully not details. Since this date/mm combo gets so expensive
as it gets to MS, the TPG's, IMO, tend to grade it harder than say and 81-S.
If I were to buy one of these, I'd go for one already slabbed in AU55-ish.
can be bought cheap compared to MS.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 425Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05