Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Show Me Your Civic Coppers

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 686Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
554 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:05 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi,
I have been hunting actively for these coins for a couple of years now.
"Civic Coppers" is the name commonly used for anonymous copper coins struck for a local market in Persia during more or less 18th and 19th century.
They don't bear any rulers name but generally on one side the name on the city where it has been minted and on the other side a figurative design.
Here are some of my favorites.

Rabbit with fishes, minted in Rasht. Year as edge inscription:

Double headed eagle, inspired by the Russian eagle, minted in Teheran:

Another double headed eagle, minted in Mazandaran:

Sunface, minted in Herat:

Boat, minted in Bushire:

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3525 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  08:24 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Very nice series! The rabbit & fishes I find especially attractive.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2381 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  11:06 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Those are nice examples. I'll also pick these up when I can though they can be surprisingly pricey.
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
554 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  5:45 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your comments so far.
I will try to add some more in the coming days.
@Bacchus
I would like to see some of yours. And yes, it is getting more and more difficult to find them at decent prices. The nicest often turn to 3 figure prices in auctions.
United States
1 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  8:21 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add likecoins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a very unusual Iran civic copper overstruck on a Russian 2 Kopeck, c1810. Obverse seems to be a deer. I was told this is Bandar Abbas, but any additional attribution appreciated.

Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
554 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  04:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great coin!
Those struck over Russian coins are quite expensive, look here: http://www.auction-imperia.ru/wdate...line&i=44947
Those I find on zeno are from Isfahan or without mint.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2381 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  06:08 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here's on from Kashan. Lion chasing Gazelle
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2381 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  06:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Another one of those sun face ones from Heart

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2381 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  06:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Not a pictorial one but overstruck civic fulus counterstamp on an Iranian Abu Shahr 1221 AH copper.

Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
554 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  08:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I like that last one.
It is without countermark in Valentine labelled as "two lions facing each other"
With the ornaments looking like carrots, one could also think these are two rabbits.
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
554 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  08:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is one with two fishes from Rasht, AH1267

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2381 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  11:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bacchus2 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That one is excellent. I find these type of coins to be infinitely more interesting than machine stamped coins churned out by their millions.
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
554 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  11:49 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you very much.
This one appears in KM under Iraq/Mesopotamia, in Valentine under Turkey.
It has been struck under the governor Sait Pasa. On a similar coin he put his name on the obverse. Krause says that he was beheaded for this infringement of tradition.

Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
554 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  2:29 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This one is from Afghanistan, struck at Qandahar during the British occupation. KM#94
Would also be a nice addition to a collection of Colonial coins.

Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
554 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  3:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
This is a presentation or prestige issue with the lion and sun on both sides.
They have been meant to be mounted.
It is quite large with 32 mm of diameter.
The lion is of the style of the Isfahan coins.

Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
554 Posts
 Posted 06/22/2020  12:16 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A Civic copper from Afghanistan, Qandahar mint with a lion on a laminated flan, dated AH1085.
These laminated flan appear in general only on coins from Afghanistan.

I would be happy to see more coins from other collections.

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 686Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.73 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05