Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

UK Coin Query 1 P, 2 P, 5 P - 1970 S/1990 S

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 293Next Topic  

United Kingdom
1 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  09:39 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Coinquery1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there,

I recently emptied out some old piggy banks from my childhood.
Inside I found the following:
1p coins - 1971,74,75,76,77,81
2p coins - 1971,75,76,77,78,79,80,81
5p coins - 1990,91,92

I am presuming that the vast majority are worth face value. However, thought I would ask you guys, the experts if there are any here that might be worth something?

Many thanks in advance
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7007 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  10:01 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Hi and

You could quite happily take the lot down to your local shop and spend them, if you can find anything for 37p!

They are all very common decimal coins minted in the tens or hundreds of millions. If any are absolutely uncirculated (very shiny with full mint lustre and no marks or damage) a collector might pay 20p or so for one of them, but normal circulated ones are just worth face value.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
188 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  1:05 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pwa 1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes they are not worth anything ,maybe give them to a young person who will not remember them being larger and of a different design.It may spark a collecting interest for them.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
109 Posts
 Posted 06/06/2020  4:53 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Collector28 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
These are coins that circulate, pwa 1967. Any person in the UK will have seen this at some point.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
188 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  12:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pwa 1967 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Yes ,although I doubt many pre 2000 will be in a young persons pocket.
Learn More...
United States
87505 Posts
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7007 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  03:48 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Yes ,although I doubt many pre 2000 will be in a young persons pocket.

It depends how much they use cash rather than other forms of payment.

Until the recent lockdown, I used cash for nearly all my shopping, and I tended to shop 'little and often'. It was not unusual for me to have several 1p and 2p coins from 1971-81 in my pocket at any one time, and 1990 5p coins, being the first year of the small size, are still really common. Go down to my local amusement arcade (when it's open) and look in the 2p 'pusher' machines - I reckon around half of the 2p coins are still the bronze type and the majority of those are dated 1971 and 1975-81.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
377 Posts
 Posted 06/08/2020  09:35 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add zookeeperz to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just as all coins from yester year there are varieties in the decimal series that are rare and command huge premiums but and it is a big but. These are in the handfuls known for each type.The 2 I look for constantly are the 1976 Penny with the reverse of the 1972 proof as in the 1 being much closer to the toothed border and the 1973 10 pence 3+C and 6+D. There are lots more but for the most part anything circulated in the decimal series is face value
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 293Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.45 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05