Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1621 Cob - 8 Reales? Madrid?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 201Next Topic  

United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  01:49 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add sowolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need help attributing this coin. It has a clear 1621 date. It has a mint mark of M. It shows Philip as the ruler... but I can't tell if it is Philip the III or Philip the IV (Philip the III died in 1621).
But I can't seem to quite match it up (the crown, the shield, etc.)
... any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3510 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  08:10 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think this is a real coin, so maybe it's a moot point.

(Moderators might want to move this out of the Grading sub-forum to get a more definitive answer)
Edited by tdziemia
06/07/2020 08:17 am
United States
24 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  5:39 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sowolf to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I have been going through thousands of photos (both counterfeits and genuine) and haven't been able to find a single match. I tested the metal and it is silver.
The other oddity is that the coin weighs in at 20.4 grams which is too light for 8 Reales and too heavy for 4 Reales.
Maybe a counterfeit of its time? Still, I haven't been able to match it to any known counterfeits.
In looking at the coin more closely it looks like there is a 4 to the right of the shield.
Again any help is greatly appreciated!

PS - Sorry, if I posted this in the wrong spot.

Thanks again!

Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
3510 Posts
 Posted 06/07/2020  8:10 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tdziemia to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@sowolf, I am not an expert in coins from this era, but if you have been looking through a lot of images, you will have noticed that the lettering and numerals, not to mention the rendering of the coat of arms, and the castles and lions in the angles of the cross do not look like genuine coins from this era.

I hope our experts on counterfeits will also see your post and give you more feedback.
  Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 201Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.39 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05