Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

When Is An Ebay Auction Not Really An Auction?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 401Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  2:23 pm Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Answer - when the minimum bid is full retail (or more!).

I just spent a few hours looking over all the world coin auctions on eBay ending today. Most of them have NO BIDS. The reason being their minimum starting bid is too high. Nearly all the auctions with bids have a very low starting price. I would think the sellers would get tired of wasting their time running "auctions" that get no bids. If you refuse to take less than a certain amount, make it a fixed price listing and save everybody some time.

These sellers want to have it both ways. Protect themselves and get auction fever going. Not going to happen. I have a small list of sellers who start everything at less than $1. And they seem to be doing just fine with lots of early bids and plenty of snipers at the close. They run real auctions. They get lots of my money.

It would be interesting to know the totals of auctions that never get a bid and have a high starting price. My guess is that percentage is way more than 90%. I know that the ones on my Watch List are at 100%!
Valued Member
United States
205 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  2:56 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Imag8r to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I list an item/coin on ebay I look at prices currently asked and also the sold prices. Then I will list just below lowest seller if pretty close to prices they sell for. I have better luck than doing auctions starting real low. I guess afraid coin will sell much lower than what I want. I agree there are a ton of sellers where I scratch my head and think are they really serious thinking this coin is going to sell for that..Old gold coins I auction. I always start at minimum that I want to sell it for and the coins always goes above that—some alittle higher some alot—I have a few needed Peace dollars to complete my set and just cant find one that is condition and price I want to spend on that coin, but I keep trying.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13774 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  4:34 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm strictly an E-bay buyer . All I know is when I see an auction starting at a ridiculous high price I skip right over that coin . I'm looking to fight with other bidders in hopes of getting the coin at a good price .
High bid starting sellers ; Stop Wasting Our Time !
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Valued Member
United Kingdom
443 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  5:02 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
When I used to sell coins I used to buy them in job lots and list them all at £0.99 with no reserve, and more often than not I would turn a profit. It's also quite fun. You're right, there are so many listings that are 0 bids right until the end because they are asking £7999.99 for a coin that might sell for £2000 if it had a lot of interest. I actually only usually bid on coins that have started at what I believe to be less than their value. You can get some bargains if they end in the middle of daytime on a weekday!
Pillar of the Community
United States
7278 Posts
 Posted 06/09/2020  9:53 pm  Show Profile   Check edweather's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add edweather to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
A lot of sellers just aren't interested in moving inventory. If they do sell a coin once in a while, they will get their price. Auctions are risky for sellers, and I too like auctions that start low, and sell for whatever the market will bear.
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 06/10/2020  10:10 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm looking to fight with other bidders in hopes of getting the coin at a good price .
High bid starting sellers ; Stop Wasting Our Time !

Absolutely! But don't bid on the stuff I wants - har!

Up to now I have been listing all me coins in the fixed price format. But starting Saturday, I am going to auction a few USA Walking Liberty half dollars. I will follow the format of my favorite eBay sellers and start at 99 cents with free shipping. Hopefully they will go for more than melt!
Valued Member
United States
316 Posts
 Posted 06/20/2020  09:59 am  Show Profile   Check John K's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add John K to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just looked at the 300 world coins that are about to close on eBay. Eight have bids and those started at $1 or less except for one that was silver and started at melt. What a waste of time. Give me REAL auctions or list them at fixed price.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 401Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.59 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05