Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Need Help Gradin A 1925 Standing Liberty... Please.

First page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,112Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4111 Posts
 Posted 06/14/2020  11:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details, altered surfaces.
Learn More...
United States
88708 Posts
Valued Member
United States
266 Posts
 Posted 06/17/2020  11:52 pm  Show Profile   Check Lancek's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Lancek to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
MS 66 coin would have more details on the knee, Full lines on the shield emblem. More details on the chest feathers on the reverse. I say high AU. And it might have been cleaned or dipped to bring it back to that shiny.
Pillar of the Community
United States
8993 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2020  09:05 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm going with AU details also. altered surfaces
Pillar of the Community
United States
8096 Posts
 Posted 06/19/2020  6:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add CoinCollector2012 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
AU details
Sets in progress... Washington quarters, 7070 Type Set, WLH Short Set
View my collection here! http://www.coincommunity.org/galler...hp?cat=10518
ANA: 3183215
Pillar of the Community
United States
3203 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2020  06:21 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add merclover to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed you didn't answer the question as to the cost, and that's ok, it's your coin.

I too am going with AU-Details.
ša va bien aller
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
49537 Posts
 Posted 06/23/2020  07:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
That's where I am as well.
United States
17 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  12:51 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add jaberwoke to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: Still awaiting arrival from Spain.

As I'm just trying to have some fun rekindling my past interest in coin collecting, I sincerely appreciate everyone's comments as I'm trying to learn things I never considered about collecting when younger (now 69) and enjoying reexamining the hobby to keep this aging mind busy and as sharp as I am able.

To comment on your critiques:

In the photos I have available and shared, I enlarged to their max in Win 10 Photo and see no evidence of mechanical or chemical cleaning. If you can comment where you see evidence of such, please point it out to me.

I do now see die cracks on the reverse at 11 o'clock (wingtip/rim) and 3 o'clock (through star), so thanks for seeing that. Also possible Machine Doubling of the 2 (may be light reflection). I understand defects may lower value but these make it really cool to me!

Regarding grading wear: I've looked at dozens of 1925 and later type 2b graded MS coins and most all are light strikes at shield 8 o'clock (2 rivets), upper thigh skirt line not well defined if you're grading down to AU because of this. I still see an MS coin here.

Further comments are appreciated as we'd all like to learn to grade better I believe.
Pillar of the Community
United States
759 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  06:00 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add joecoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Three dings on Liberty's leg and one above the eagles beak, along with what appears to be verdigris on some of the devices, leads me to believe this coin is AU.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13788 Posts
 Posted 07/12/2020  07:32 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Lets see if I can explain why we are saying it looks cleaned . If those photos are correct ,the entire skin on both sides of the coin have the same flat light grey color to it . There is absolutely no mint luster on this coin at all . This is what a cleaned silver coin looks like . Now it could have also been overly dipped with a silver tarnish remover ,such as E-zest .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
Pillar of the Community
United States
882 Posts
 Posted 07/23/2020  12:18 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add machine20 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Now it could have also been overly dipped with a silver tarnish remover ,such as E-zest .

That's what I'd go with
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 26 / Views: 1,112Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.55 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05