Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1979 - 1989 5 Cent Weak Strike

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 725Next Topic
Page: of 2
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  4:42 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add Meandice to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've had this coin in a bin for as long as I can remember. I thought it was just worn down, but I am now learning that this may be a weak strike.

The obverse bust dates the coin between 1979 and 1989. But other than that the reverse only shows a faint beaver.

Could this be my first true error?

Pillar of the Community
Canada
4553 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  5:30 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Just weigh it and you will have your answer
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1674 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  6:27 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34701 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  7:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
All the scratches would indicate PMD,but it might also be a struck through grease? Weight would help.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  8:09 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Meandice to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So I don't have a gram scale that shows decimals but...

The coin itself is 4g and with another 1981 is 9g. So it should be around 4.5g which is the correct weight, right?

What would that tell me for sure?
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  8:19 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Meandice to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The coin shows similar wear on both sides. I'm not convinced that someone deliberately buffed out one side...
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4553 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  8:58 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Trial strikes usually have weakness on both sides, this coin should weigh 4.54 to 4.6 grams depending on year, this means the coin is under weight, likely buffed or grinded
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  9:32 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Meandice to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately my scale does not have decimals.

I took 2 post 2000 nickels (3.95g) and weighed them separately (4g each) and together (8g).

I weighed the pictured coin with each post 2000 and they weigh 9g.

So I assume the coin would need to be at least 4.55 for the scale to round up. I understand that this really proves nothing until I get a proper scale...

But it gives me hope that I may have a real error!

Thanks
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4553 Posts
 Posted 06/30/2020  9:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Take your coin to a Canada Post outlet, their scales are quite exact.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
34701 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  06:13 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add John1 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
You can and should buy a scale for not much money,it will come in handy.
John1
( I'm no pro, it's just my humble opinion )
Searched 5+ Million Cents Since 1971
Canada
38 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  3:06 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Meandice to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
So my scale arrived from Amazon and....

I imagine this means it is real.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1674 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  4:49 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There are too many lines on the coin to be just a weak strike. IMO
Pillar of the Community
Canada
4553 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  7:33 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add john100 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
There is very little market for test or set up strike coins except for dollars, you are in a tough position, without grading most will see this as PMD, grading a 100 buck coin is really not worth the risk reward.
Pillar of the Community
Canada
1674 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  6:25 pm  Show Profile   Check nickelsguy's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add nickelsguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
obv. is well struck. Now way a weak strike or die adjustment strike on one side. Come on peeps.
Edited by nickelsguy
07/05/2020 6:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
Canada
8029 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  6:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add DBM to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

There is no way a coin can be weakly struck on one side only.
Physical laws are in play at the mint.
There is no meta physical press striking errors for us to ponder.
Remotely possible that it's some kind of struck through.
Infinitesimally small chance that it was struck by a funky die.
99.9% chance that it's PMD.
0% for weakly struck.
"Dipping" is not considered cleaning...
-from PCGS website
Edited by DBM
07/05/2020 6:59 pm
Learn More...
Canada
9187 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  9:51 pm  Show Profile   Check SPP-Ottawa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add SPP-Ottawa to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There is very little market for test or set up strike coins except for dollars,

I'd probably disagree with that. A few years ago a lovely mid-1970s 50c setup strike went up for auction and I was strongly outbid.

This one example I have, which I suspect would do ok in an auction... it is on a copper-plated zinc planchet:

"Discovery follows discovery, each both raising and answering questions, each ending a long search, and each providing the new instruments for a new search." -- J. Robert Oppenheimer

Content of this post is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License. See: http://creativecommons.org/licenses...0/deed.en_US

My eBay store
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 725Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.95 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05