Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

1884 O Morgan - You Vs PCGS

Next Page | Last 15 Replies

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 628Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United Kingdom
453 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  12:21 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is one if mine that I have had for many years. Most of the scratches are on the plastic holder, and the smudge over the eagle breast is on the plastic. From my angled mobile phone shots I've tried to capture the plumage underneath.
What do you think they graded it? / What would you give it. Will post actual grade in 48 hours.

Edited by TobyJ
07/01/2020 12:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  12:54 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add JasonKflo to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm having a hard time getting a good feel but looks nice maybe MS64 ?
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50420 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  1:01 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say MS-64 as well.
Pillar of the Community
United States
9345 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  2:20 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add dave700x to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It certainly is MS64 quality but I'm not getting a good read on the surfaces in the fields. They look a bit dull and lifeless in these images.
1883-O Nut
Pillar of the Community
United States
9147 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
strike is soft which is normal for this year but based on these photos I think she's been over dipped. UNC details (Cleaned). remove from holder for a more accurate assessment
Pillar of the Community
United States
982 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:12 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Ham1947 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Photos are too blurry for me to make a grade, but I would guess this coin would grad AU58.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50420 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:16 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I think you guys are right. Better pics, outside the holder, are needed.
Bedrock of the Community
United States
21342 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The surface luster is a concern. Maybe a few more photos with better lighting.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
453 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  12:17 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I hope these are a bit better at showing the lustre. I've used a thinner material for diffusing the light and put my light on full brightness. Any better? Basically, the fields aren't dull at all, they reflect a lot of light.

Hopefully the bottom photo will give a good idea of the lustre.

Edited by TobyJ
07/02/2020 12:41 pm
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
1549 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  9:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fortcollins to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The new photos help. The surfaces look fairly clean. I don't see anything from contact marks that would hold this back from MS-64. The strike is pretty soft. I can't tell from the photos if there is disruption of the luster at the high points. You have the coin in hand,and can better assess that factor. The luster seems a bit dull to me, too. That could well be the lighting or the slab.

I'm cautiously in the MS-64 camp here, assuming that the luster is unbroken.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
50420 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  10:03 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Coinfrog to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
New pics don't help for me, no grade.
Pillar of the Community
Learn More...
United States
4156 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  07:53 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add fenton to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Probably MS-64
Pillar of the Community
United States
9147 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  08:52 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add panzaldi to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I'm still at UNC details over dipped
Valued Member
United Kingdom
453 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  2:41 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies. PCGS graded it MS63, but I really feel it's better than that. I may just crack it out of the case which is badly scratched and the blurring over the eagles breast is just plain annoying. Unless these old style holders are worth any more? If I bust it out I'll post photos.

Bedrock of the Community
United States
21342 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  2:51 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add IndianGoldEagle to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It most likely got a lower grade due to the dull luster. When I first looked at it, it appeared cleaned to me. Typical dull bright look that cleaning with baking soda and water produces.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
453 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  11:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add TobyJ to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I bust her out ladies and gentlemen. No regrets. Thoughts?

Edited by TobyJ
07/04/2020 11:46 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 628Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.67 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05