Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Prince Of Wales Marriage Medal 1863

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 300Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
91 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  4:54 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add dar76124 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It seems slow in the forum so here is a tough one (at least to me). I have searched through BHM and cannot find this. Has anyone seen this before? 50mm

Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  7:45 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The reason that it's not to be found in BHM is that it is a purely local medal. Local to Ross-on-Wye in Herefordshire where the hedgehog is the symbol of Ross-on-Wye. Ross was an important town in the ancient kingdom of Ergyng (AngloSaxon: Archenfield: Land of Hedgehogs).
The obverse of your medal is common, the official portrait by Spink probably. The reverse however is another matter. I collect and deal in such medals and once lived very close to Ross, but this is something I've not seen before. Possibly quite rare as the population of that town in the latter part of the 19th century was less than 4000 and it is likely that distribution was small and survival intat quite uncommon.
Edited by alganbagerap
07/01/2020 7:46 pm
Valued Member
Australia
403 Posts
 Posted 07/01/2020  10:52 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
alganbagerap - I'm in awe of your knowledge.
United Kingdom
45 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  06:38 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add tokenscot to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
It appears to be by Ottley Birmingham with the signature below the POW's truncation.

The obverse die appears as 932 in Andrew Whittlestone and Michael Ewing's "Royal Commemorative Medals 1837 - 1977 Volume 1. Queen Victoria 1837 - 1901 excluding the Jubilees of 1887 & 1897." [Galata Print Ltd., 2008].

They record two pieces that use this die: 932A which is a generic one detailing the event in text, and 932B which is a local issue for Upton St Leonards.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
2423 Posts
 Posted 07/02/2020  12:35 pm  Show Profile   Check alganbagerap's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add alganbagerap to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I missed the Otley signature, shouldn't try using a phone screen with eyes as bad as mine.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 300Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.48 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05