Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cardboard Coin Holder Questions?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 289Next Topic  

United States
33 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  07:56 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add bgl379475 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
To start off I should mention that these holders I am seeking info. for are for Canadian Coins. Are there "better" cardboard holders than others?

I see:

Cowen's Mylar Cardboard Flips
HECO Mylar Cardboard Flips
Whitman 2x2 Coin Mounts
Supersafe Self Adhesive 2x2 Holders
Lighthouse Matrix Self Adhesive 2x2 Holders

Some just seem to be call Cardboard Flips

I would assume some are better than others, I know personally a few years ago I purchased some holders and they came covered in dust and debris. I am not sure if it was who I bought them from or the type of flip.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brett
Pillar of the Community
United States
4781 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  08:44 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add kanga to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
I personally do not buy self-adhesive 2x2's.
I've never seen reports about the adhesive used so I don't know if that's a problem.

Non-adhesive 2x2's require you to staple them closed.
The staples have to be crimped flat or there's a danger of the staples scratching other coins.
The means either getting a self-crimping stapler OR do it yourself.
I use the do-it-yourself method and a channel locks.
I use heavy duty staples and I am not strong enough to crimp them with pliers.

And spend the extra money to get 2x2's in all the sizes you need.
You want the coin to fit in snugly so that it doesn't slide around.

BTW even though the terms are often used interchangeably flips are different than 2x2's.
Flips are the all-plastic holders that have two attached pockets.
They have their pluses and minuses.
PLUS: The second pocket allows you put nice labels into.
MINUS: You have to make sure you get PVC-free flips and they are subject to splitting.
Describe it as if there were no picture.
Picture it as if there were no description.
Bedrock of the Community
Learn More...
United States
13765 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  09:07 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add T-BOP to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
MINUS: You have to make sure you get PVC-free flips and they are subject to splitting.

May I add that it is possible the coin can slide out of these flips if misused , where as the cardboard 2x2 the coin isn't going anywhere .
Proud Member of The Black Sheep Squadron !
In Memory of Fallen Black Sheep Mates .
United States
33 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  09:39 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add bgl379475 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to you both I did know about the difference between cardboard holders and flips. I just always seem to make the mistake in the names. I am definitely seeking cardboard and I will do some comparisons of American and Canadian Coin size to figure out which is the best.
Pillar of the Community
United States
7274 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  9:35 pm  Show Profile   Check westcoin's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add westcoin to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Cowens, Heco, Whitman and the Generic all pretty good, I use them all along with a flat cinch stapler and a pair of needle nose pliers to crimp the staples extra flat, then I use double row 14" cardboard boxes, some older Whitman blue plastic boxes, and a few single row cardboard boxes which are then stored in either Tupperware bins or a pelican case. Along with some de-humidifier material. Food safe plastic bins should always be safe to store coins in without worrying about outgassing or PVC it's not used in food safe containers, at least it's not supposed to be. I'm in a fairly humid area now, so I always use the de-humidifiers or desiccant packs and recharge them or replace them pretty regularly. Heat, UV light and humidity are your worst enemies when it comes to copper and silver coinage.

The only ones I've had issues with consistently are the ones from Hobby Lobby, full of lots of cardboard dust and the pre-scored folds are not always straight or even. I will no longer get any from them, I used them in a pinch a few times since they have a store down the street from me.
"Buy the Book Before You Buy the Coin" - Aaron R. Feldman - "And read it" - Me 2013!
ANA Life Member #3288 in good standing since 1982, EAC Member #6202, NBS Member, 2 variety collector.

See my want page: http://goccf.com/t/140440
Edited by westcoin
07/04/2020 9:36 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 289Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.41 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05