Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Herod Agrippa Prutah ... Or Not?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 428Next Topic  
Valued Member
New Zealand
63 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  8:18 pm Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi there - I've spotted this in an online auction. It purports to be from Herod Agrippa, Jerusalem mint. I assume it's a prutah.
I don't have the expertise to judge its authenticity but I am suspicious because of its Biblical connections, which might make it a likely target for the counterfeit/souvenir trade, and because the seller hasn't listed ancients before. The surface looks a bit odd too? These are the seller's pics so the best I have. Any views welcome.
I've founds reports of cast fakes http://www.forumancientcoins.com/fa...um=35&pos=86 but can't judge if this one is cast.

Edited by pdg
07/03/2020 8:26 pm
Pillar of the Community
United States
5088 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  8:40 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Bob L to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Looks okay to me. Yes, Agrippa I, Jerusalem mint, year 6, 41/2 AD, Hendin 1244.
Learn More...
United States
23128 Posts
 Posted 07/03/2020  8:42 pm  Show Profile   Check echizento's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add echizento to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Agrippa I, year 6, 41/2 AD.

Bob beat me to it.
Bedrock of the Community
Australia
17157 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  12:15 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add sel_69l to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Because the originals in most cases are so poorly made,
and because of their historical and Biblical significance,
there exists a very real temptation to produce better quality fake coins for the tourist trade.

To my eye, this example looks to be OK,
but like the OP, I cannot convince myself to be 100% certain.

The originals seem to have been made in large quantities, and so they are cheap enough to obtain,
but if you have been fooled, it it not a huge monetary loss.

I have had the same issues with Chinese and Islamic bronze coins, but in most cases, they have turned out to be genuine.
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  08:59 am  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a Judean lot from eBay, not mine, that gives you an idea of the going price. Been up for quite some time. A huge number were made and there is an obvious one of these in there.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-14-...AOSwmeNeUwoE

If you want to have a lot of fun collecting try becoming an expert on his grandfather Herod the Greats coins. Lots and lots of low end coins available that were made very crudely quite often but such varieties! This is a favorite book of mine below:

https://books.google.com/books/abou...mNNy5i-TGw4C

Valued Member
New Zealand
63 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  05:01 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Great, thanks everyone for the feedback. I am happy to be mistaken in believing that coins from the Holy land would necessarily be rare or probable fakes.
If I get it - if the bidding doesn't get carried away - I'll post some better pics.
Pillar of the Community
United States
3208 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  10:52 am  Show Profile   Check FVRIVS RVFVS's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add FVRIVS RVFVS to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Stay "cheap"
There are always second chances with the common type of small bronzes
There are good quality fakes that can fool experts
You might be better off buying a small group lot
The price tends to be much better
Fakes often can get 'salted' into these group lots
But ....... you are near 100% certain that most will be genuine !
IN GOD WE TRVST ....... all others pay cash !

COGITO ERGO SPVD
I think ...... therefore I yam
CCF Advertiser
Learn More...
United States
655 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  6:00 pm  Show Profile   Check louisvillekyshop's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add louisvillekyshop to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Honestly also, I have handled many ancient coins of all types. And aside from one type off Sicily I forget now I can say the bronze the Judean coins are made of certainly was not that great. I have had the most trouble with them and whenever I sell one I put a desiccant packet in the bag and say keep dry.) So either they are completely corroded or they are hard to keep stable. (In wet climates. Like if I sell to someone in an island off Georgia I always worry about the coin long term.
Valued Member
New Zealand
63 Posts
 Posted 07/25/2020  06:27 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add pdg to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Update: The Herod Agrippa prutah eventually sold for NZ$51 (about US$35), out of my budget and more than some of the ebay auctions I was pointed to. But I learnt some new things so it was worthwhile. Thanks again!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 428Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.52 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05