Coin Community Family of Web Sites
Like us on Facebook! Subscribe to our Youtube Channel! Check out our Twitter! Check out our Pinterest!
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some coins?
Our coin forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mint Mark On 1943/44 French Vichy 2 Franc Coins

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 364Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
108 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  03:09 am Show Profile   Bookmark this topic Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Am currently sorting my french coins and have 6 1943 and 2 1944 French Vichy 2 Franc Coins. According to Numista some of these coins had a B or C mint mark. I can't spot any mint marks. Now I now the chances are mine don't have mint marks as these were most common however I decided to google some images to make sure I was looking in the right spot. Well I can't find any pics of mint marks on these coins. Can a kind soul with these coins that have mint marks please post a pic showing location of mint marks?
Thanks
Pillar of the Community
United States
1129 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  04:09 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint mark is to the right of the axe. No mint mark coins are from Paris. Since they minted as many coins in Paris each year as the other two combined most of the one you see will not have a mint mark.

I think numista used a Beaumont coin though if you want to compare.
Edited by Gincoin43
07/04/2020 04:19 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
Sweden
350 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  04:19 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add erafjel to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
The mint mark is to the left of the axe (the LB to the right of the axe is the signature of the engraver, Lucien Bazor).

Here is a picture of a 2 francs with the B mint mark: https://www.cgb.fr/2-francs-francis...46926,a.html
Pillar of the Community
United States
1129 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  05:25 am  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add Gincoin43 to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The mint mark is to the left of the axe

Ah thanks
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7278 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  05:31 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Can a kind soul with these coins that have mint marks please post a pic showing location of mint marks?

1944 Paris Mint 2 Francs - no mint mark to left of axe:

1944 Beaumont-le-Roger and Castelsarrasin coins - B and C lo left of axe:
Pillar of the Community
Luxembourg
557 Posts
 Posted 07/04/2020  4:44 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add maudry to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
@NumisRob
That Castelsarrasin coin looks like a 1 franc, small C variety to me.
Congratulations if that is your coin :)
Valued Member
Australia
108 Posts
 Posted 07/05/2020  4:11 pm  Show Profile   Bookmark this reply Add David Graham to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for all the replies and pics.
It is obvious now I see it and none of my coins have the mint mark so I am safe to send the less pristine articles into the recycle bin for sale on ebay.
Pillar of the Community
United Kingdom
7278 Posts
 Posted 07/06/2020  04:57 am  Show Profile   Check NumisRob's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add NumisRob to your friends list Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
@NumisRob
That Castelsarrasin coin looks like a 1 franc, small C variety to me.
Congratulations if that is your coin :)

No, it's a 2 franc coin. I took them all out of the album and photographed them together! I spent a lot of time in France as a teenager in the 1970s and most of my aluminium 1 and 2 franc coins were taken from circulation. At the time they were still legal tender for 1 and 2 centimes, although seldom used, and if I spotted a whole lot of them in a shop till when making a purchase, I'd ask for some in change!
Edited by NumisRob
07/06/2020 04:58 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 364Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Coin Community Member eBay Sales

Certified Coins   Certified VAMs   Certified Errors  

Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Coin Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Family- all rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Coin Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Contact Us  |  Advertise Here  |  Privacy Policy / Terms of Use

Coin Community Forum © 2005 - 2020 Coin Community Forums
It took 0.81 seconds to rattle this change. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05